• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 Transmission is done! What to do?

tiptonga

NAXJA Forum User
The AW4 transmission on my 99 Cherokee finally went. I was driving home and gradually lost power, and it looked like I had a smoke machine strapped to the bottom of my Jeep. Anyways, my question is should I attempt a rebuild, swap it out with one from a junkyard, or just pay someone to do it? I have never done anything this extensive, but I feel like I can do it. Is a rebuild even possible for a transmission that is completely done?

5 speed swap

And a leg transplant.......2 legs, 2 pedals.

If you want to take on a rebuild, it can be done, but an auto tranny rebuild is not for a novice wrencher. Lots of shops will rebuild it for you, but plan on spending $1500-2000+. You can likely find a good, low mile unit from a salvage yard or check the local classified ads for a part out project. The AW4 is a strong, solid unit that will easily go 200k miles with proper care and maintenance. I have 181,000 on mine........

junkyard swap, they are $75 at my pick-n-pull all day long. swapping yourself isn't all that bad, but for a first time swap, give yourself plenty of time. getting the new trans up in the air is tough if you are alone (motorcycle jack helps keep it steady, or i think they make trans pads for floor jacks too). getting the torque converter seated, and bolted to the flywheel is the other tricky part, but not impossible. get yourself a set of e-torx sockets and some LONG 3/8ths extensions if you tackle this, those top trans mount bolts are annoying.

Last edited:
junkyard swap for sure. Or 5 speed swap.

I can get one from a you-pull yard here for 130, a bit more with a warranty, or I can pick them up for free from friends, 50-150 from the classifieds here, etc.

Your ideal donor is a 98-01, other years will require significant reworking, significant enough that it would be easier and better to simply rebuild your existing trans.

you might have lost a cooler line, which dumped out all your fluid causing the smoke. did you check that? you probably cooked your frictions and steels in the trans if that's the case, but depending on how long it was driven for, it may still be ok. check the fluid level.

Back