• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering Angles?

89xj 2781

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys. I'm in the middle of fixing a serious case of death wobble and want to upgrade the steering components. I'm going to put in a ( I think ) zj tie rod. I'm buying drop pitman arm next week along with a new track bar. I have seen this sleeve you can buy to flip the tie rod. I would have to drill out the knuckle and put in a sleeve and put the tie rod in on the top. Is there any Benefit to doing this? Also to the main question. What is a good set up steering system angles supposed to look like. Can anyone post a picture of a properly set up front end. Here is a picture of mine. Does anyone see anything out the ordinary that I need to take care of? Thank you.
4257703c-55cc-01f7.jpg

4257703c-55e0-f631.jpg

flipping the tie-rod only gains you ground clearance, and you will have to adjust your sway bar brackets to do it.

the geometry that really matters is the angle of the track-bar to drag link. yours looks fine. your DW is most likely worn out components. check all of your bushings, and tie-rod ends. as well as balljoints, steering box, trackbar bracket, etc.

avoid drop pitman arms, they will change your Drag link/track bar geometry giving you more trouble. the only way to do that is to also run a drop trackbar bracket, which I don't think you have enough lift for. clayton makes a trackbar and bracket that uses the stock height, allowing you to keep your stock pitman arm.

for your reference,
here is what mine looks like with ~4" of lift, stock pitman arm, clayton trackbar bracket (stock drop), a ruffstuff trackbar, and the tie-rod flipped. I used JCR sway bar mounts to re-locate it.
note the drag link and trackbar (panhard) are perfectly parallel.
P1070708.jpg

Agree with above, more than likely it is worn components, biggest one most likely being your track bar. If your running any kind of lift with a stock style track bar it will wear the joint quickly.

Ok cool. I have found the death wobble problem. It is the track bar bushing, and I don't like the one I have. I has to redrill a hole next to the original to make this one work. It is a BDS track and it seems good but not for this jeep. It goes to something else. The RC track bar that I'm buying comes with a new frame side bracket. I'm running almost a 6" lift. It's a 3.5 skyjacker coils and add a leaf with a 2" bb. Can anyone see anything from my Picture that doesn't seem right or does it all look ok?

Picture002.jpg

Picture003.jpg

It helps to get the track bar & drag link as close to the same angle as you can. I used hime joints and stock pitman. I had massive DW but after installing a Steering stabilizer, it helped a lot. I will get DW but I have to hit a pot hole in the right spot at the right speed.

Yes thanks for the pics. I hope the new track bar finishes it all up for me. My jeep has been one thing after another for the last few months. I guess that's what I get for letting it sit for 11 months. Thank for the help. I appreciate it a lot.

Back