• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Oil pan/timing chain cover oil leak

StuckonTheDock

NAXJA Forum User
Hello all,
Been away for a long time, but the bug bit and I have a "new" XJ. She runs great, but drips oil like a sieve. It appears that the oil pan gasket, and perhaps even the timing chain gasket are leaking.
Is the oil pan gasket change-able with the motor on the mounts, or does it have to be lifted for the clearance?
The Jeep is bone stock, Oct '89 Larado...

TIA,
Stuck

Every time I've had a leak in that area it was the harmonic balance seal.

Its been a while since I have done one on a stock vehicle, but on mine w/ 3.5" lift I can get the pan out with the axle at full droop. You may have to unbolt the shocks and calipers to get it to fall at stock height.

Try tightening the bolts first though.

Clean up the entire lower engine sections you think are leaking, and then take a look see.., as the fan, and movement will cause oil to go where it will. A can of engine spray cleaner, and a wand wash will greatly reveal the leaking areas, and save you, perhaps, a lot of unnecessary knuckle busting work.

Back