• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Whats the Scoop on the burn???

Maybe your grandkids can wheel there one day Ben.

We are moving along nicely with the Yacolt Burn project. We finally got our signed SEPA letter from the DNR a couple weeks ago. We are now waiting on the county to decide if we need a permit or not. After that is decided and the DNR engineers are done doing the bridge crossings we can start breaking ground. Everything at this point say's we should be able to start working on trails the end of July. We need to start ASAP or we will miss our window to work on the stream crossings. I will try and do a better job of keeping you up to date. You can always check it out of Pistons Wild website at http://pistonswildforum.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=yacoltburntrailproject
That is were all the info for the burn gets posted when anything changes. Please keep in mind that we are moving forward and these trails are going to be put on the ground. We are working with Washington state government and nothing seems to move fast. I know that the LaDee Flats trails have seemed to move very fast but keep in mind they have been working on getting those trails started for many years. Those Guy's Offroad has been doing a great job of keeping it moving, but those trails were already planned before they started helping with that project (I'm not saying that they are not doing a good job. Jon and his crew have done a great job with the project and they will continue to keep it moving in the right direction.) If you have any questions or concerns please let me know either via PM or in this thread.

is that ben from utilities class at clark??!! hows the hydro conversion on the bender treating you?

is this the same project that was being talked about a couple years ago that would become part of jones creek?

is this the same project that was being talked about a couple years ago that would become part of jones creek?

Yes it is. We have been working on it for multiple years but we are still moving forward and are closer than ever. But keep in mind it is government and everything is slow when working with them. Keep checking the forum and/or Facebook because any new news will be posted there. I will try and copy it over to this forum when I see or hear new stuff.

after my accident i was out of the offroad world for a good 18 months, got my new xj and started my build. i didn't know this was still going on....is there a way to get involved? i have done business with star rentals in orchards for years,they would give me a far beyond fair price for equipment on a weekend especially if its just going to sit in the yard anyway. My xj sure as hell wont tow it haha but if i can help or get involved i would really like to, ive spent alot of time in the burn and i wasn't aware this was the same project.

As of now we still don't have the okay to turn dirt. But as soon as we have the okay I will let everyone know because it will be all hands on deck to get this stuff on the ground asap. Everyone is chomping at the bit to get up there and work. Please don't loose interests in this up and coming trail system it will happen.

I thought the Burn would be ahead of Reiter. Reiter has already had work parties and have broken new trails. Even the single track trails will open up sometime next month.

Will be nice to have the Burn and Reiter open though!

Please keep in mind that Reiter started there SEPA process 6 months before we did - but we have closed the gap due to user group cooperation. Same as us - Reiter is still in a holding pattern on ATV and 4x4 trails which require county permitting. They also have a full trail system on the ground that just needs reworking, but I suspect that they are also putting in new sections of trail. As of now Reiter is moving full speed ahead with single track dirtbike trails because they require almost no excavation, cutting or "earth moving". If they are not moving earth or crossing water - easy peasy - no permits required. Just like the mountain bike trails that are practically completed in the Yacolt Burn. Like us, Reiter has GPS'd their trails - but Reiter has not "turned any dirt" yet on 4x4 or ATV trails. It will be nice to have two new trail systems in SW Washington, and it will be up to us to keep them after they are complete. It will take good groups like NAXJA to keep these trail systems clean and in operating order. I look forward to the day we can legally wheel in the Yacolt Burn. Please keep an interest in the project and I will keep you informed if anything new pops up. If there are any more questions please post up I will be more than happy to help answer them.

Last edited:
In the initial plan there is a campground, but that will be the last thing on the list. So it will be more like Walker were you find a spot and camp. There are rules in the burn that state you cant have fires unless in a designated fire pit. So I dont know how that will work. But to answer your question yes there is camping but no campground for a while. At the rate were going probably 2025. Lol

Also if you have questions you want answered from someone besides me you can come to the meetings also. One is this Tuesday at pide pipper pizza on fourth plain in vancouver. PM me if you need directions.

Yacolt Burn Trails Update!

I found out last month (07/26/2012) that a lawsuit has been filed opposing several aspects of the new trails project.

Bottom line is there is no way to tell how long this may delay the project at this point. Many frivolous lawsuits are filed and barely make it out of the gate before they are thrown out. Hopefully this will be one of them.

You are welcome to read the complaint (all 28 pages) by clicking on the four links below and viewing the .pdf files. (You must have Adobe reader installed to view these files.)

It is sad that these small groups of extremists can throw a wrench into a project that has had so much thought and effort put into it over so many years. It is clear by the plaintiffs complaints (just like their SEPA comments) that they have not been involved in this process and have not bothered to educate themselves on the amount of work that has gone into building these much needed recreational trails.​

As news comes in on the progress of the lawsuit I will pass it on as I get it.​

This lawsuit will not stop this project and is only one of the many attempts to delay the inevitable.​

It is with great regret that I have to share bad news - but I feel pretty strongly that everyone who has worked so hard on this project deserves to know what is going on. Please feel free to comment about this latest news, but please keep it legal and keep it PG-13.​

Regards,​

Ryan W.
aka: icemans

Back