• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I KNOW this is a Jeep thing...

MichaelP

NAXJA Forum User
So I have a problem woth my 93 XJ sport. 4.0l auto.
I just inherited this fairly good condition Jeep and Id like to make it into a daily driver/reliable trail rig. It has the usual problems, but this one stumps me and I cant find the answer anywhere on the internet. Seems its got some kind of interlock solenoid that was retrofitted with a small harness and plugs that ties into the brake switch. It was shorting out, blowing the number 17 fuse killing my instrument panel. I took it all apart, and started unplugging things one at a time until I isolated this thing, whatever it is.
I figured I could just remove it since Im fairly certain Im not going to tromp the gas pedal while shifting ino drive unexpectedly.
Heres the problem. When I removed the stupid makeshift safety bandaid and plugged the original harness together without the short pigtail attached to the solenoid my brake lights came on and stayed on.
Anyone else know what the hell is the problem?

XJs of this period were recalled to have a 'brake interlock' installed. Quite possibly a faulty unit was installed, it has since become faulty, or possibly just wasn't installed properly. If my '92 was retro-fitted, I'd never know, as it doesn't work. But, there's some hinkey wiring with those easy-tap plastic splice things on the wires at the brake switch, and the brake lights work fine. The only problem is that the cruise control will not work if the headlights are on. Somehow, I think the crazy wiring and the cruise malfunction are related. The only way you're going to find your problem is to use a multi-meter, and try to re-create the conditions that cause the fuse to blow, all while you're stuffed upside-down in the driver's footwell!

Unfortunately now the fuse doesnt blow but my brakelights stay on all the time even with the key off. If anyone knows how you remove the retrofitted interlock dohickey Id really appreciate it.

How bout a pic so we can see what the heck you are talking about... lol. Never heard of such a thing on the XJ as you are describing it n

Back