• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Best Off Road Tires

broncos2729

NAXJA Forum User
I'm getting rid of the 35'' Dunlop's (slashes/chunks missing) and going for nicer more capable rock crawling tires. I'm down grading to a 33'' so I dont have to trim my fenders on the new body I'm swapping my lift to. My mind is set on some Goodrich KM2's but they are sooooo spendy. Anyone else got some good suggestions, maybe a little cheaper.

THANKS!

if i recall correctly... JP mag rated the hankook dynapro as the best offroad tire. specifically for rocks, it is a very soft compound, so it sticks very well. this also means they wear fast, and will wear funky if your not one to rotate and keep up on your tire pressure.

the MTR is never a bad choice.

i have the cooper STT and have been very satisfied. though i wheel like a sissy with my open diffs.

There is no "best tire", as every terrain calls for something different.

Myself, i believe the MT/R is the most versatile for a rig that will be street and trail driven. Best tire no where, but the best average all around tire.

Must be an east coast popular tire? I've seen them on a few lifted tow rigs, but I dont think I have ever once seen an MTZ on a trail rig out here.

I wonder how they hold up in the rocks.

I like my KM2's, but th Kevlar MTR is also very popular.
You might want to be a little more specific on your location. Terrain is a deciding factor with tires.

I couldn't blow a bead when I ran them as 35x12.50x15, and never popped a tire in the year and a half I ran them.

Gripped all the mud covered rocks like a boss. A little wheelspeed cleaned them out easily.

Balanced them with BBs and were smooth as glass at 80 mph. I think I put around 30k miles on them after getting them already used, and sold them with about 30% tread left.

They were definitely heavy though.

I've ran MTR's, Xterrains, TSL's, General Grabber M/T's (Olds style) An currently have DC Moutain Cats (A copy of the MTZ) My favorite all around tire for a Dual Purpose rig was the MTR my Favorite Offroad Tire was my TSL . I am considering getting a 2nd set of rims for some TSL's an having them Siped and grooved for offroad use

None are cheap, unless you want a Swamper which may save you a little.

If you drive on the road, I'd get a Wrangler MTR or KM2...
MTZs are awful, don't get them.

Pitbull Rocker Radials may be a good choice.

But $ for $ you're not gonna beat a TSL Swamper.
They're not good for road driving tho. They're, tough, cheap & work well all around.

If you are really on a budget there is always treadwright tires. They are re treads but don't let that scare you away. I have had mine for about 5000 miles and love them so far. I did a lot of research before buying them as I was not sure about re treads. The only negative feedback I could find was from people who never tried them, they were just talking trash cause they are re treads. If you know much about the internet people are quick to post a bad review but seldom to give kudos. However I found many reviews about people loving them! I paid 105 a tire for 31x10.5x15. My only advice is if you want a full size spare make sure you buy all 5 at the same time so you make sure you get the same sidewalls. I bought 4 and got bridgestone sidewalls and then order a spare and ended up with the kevlar mtr sidewall. They do include warranty too!

This one is 135:
https://treadwright.com/p-74-285-75r16-guard-dog-m-t-e.aspx

^ 4 of my friends are running treadwrights and i have only heard good things, once my nitto terra grapplers are shot Im gonna make the switch to re-treads. You just cant beat a 100 dollars a tire

Dynapro's are best of ten tires tested in the mud shoot-out, (google that), so don't consider them for rock. They are what I use as there is plenty of freak'in mud in Alaska.

Thanks guys! I will be living in Utah in August so most of my wheeling will be that area of the country.

What part of Utah ?

FWIW The tires I see on majority of the DD/Weekend Wheeler's on the trails around Salt Lake city seem to be running KM2's and MTR's . Most full blown Trailer Queens all run seem to run TSL SX's

I have run a few different tires like pro comp MTs (worst tire of them all), BFG ATs, BFG KM1s, and now BFG KM2s. The KM2s are by far my favorite so far. They ride nice, and for the most part are fairly quiet for a mud tire. I currently have 45,000 miles on the tires and still have plenty of useable tread left. I am hoping to get to 60,000 miles before I have to change them out. I will certainly be buying another set when I need tires again. The only thing about the KM2s is they are very hard to balance. If they are spot on, then I can feel them shaking rolling down the road. The guys at discount have had to add nearly 1 pound worth of weight overall to one tire to get it to balance right. But it finally did get balanced and had no problems going down the road. I only had to take them back to get re-balanced after one guy rushed through balancing them. But even then it only would shake just a little but enough I could notice. If your Jeep has any death wobble tendencies then be careful and make sure they balance them very good. When I ran the BFG ATs I had death wobble really bad. Went at replacing all kinds of parts trying to chase it down and cure it and in the end it didn't go away until I got rid of the tires. Had multiple places tell me the tires were "out of round" which I just couldn't believe from nearly brand new tires. But they were right.

Anyway, I vote for the BFG KM2 from my experience. Though the kevlar MTR seems to have a lot of great reviews so if I had to look at another it might be those or maybe some Nitto tires (not the mud grappler).

I have run a few different tires like pro comp MTs (worst tire of them all), BFG ATs, BFG KM1s, and now BFG KM2s. The KM2s are by far my favorite so far. They ride nice, and for the most part are fairly quiet for a mud tire. I currently have 45,000 miles on the tires and still have plenty of useable tread left. I am hoping to get to 60,000 miles before I have to change them out. I will certainly be buying another set when I need tires again. The only thing about the KM2s is they are very hard to balance. If they are spot on, then I can feel them shaking rolling down the road. The guys at discount have had to add nearly 1 pound worth of weight overall to one tire to get it to balance right. But it finally did get balanced and had no problems going down the road. I only had to take them back to get re-balanced after one guy rushed through balancing them. But even then it only would shake just a little but enough I could notice. If your Jeep has any death wobble tendencies then be careful and make sure they balance them very good. When I ran the BFG ATs I had death wobble really bad. Went at replacing all kinds of parts trying to chase it down and cure it and in the end it didn't go away until I got rid of the tires. Had multiple places tell me the tires were "out of round" which I just couldn't believe from nearly brand new tires. But they were right.

Anyway, I vote for the BFG KM2 from my experience. Though the kevlar MTR seems to have a lot of great reviews so if I had to look at another it might be those or maybe some Nitto tires (not the mud grappler).

that is odd. my 35" km2s took barely any weight. in fact i hadnt had them balanced for the first 20k miles or so. put maybe 60k miles on 2 of them and just recently they wore past the wear bars. the other 2 fell victim to sidewall cuts and were replaced under 4wheelparts the roadhazard warraty for free. I was completely happy with them.

Back