• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Weird knock

tommy54

NAXJA Forum User
I swapped a used engine into my 2000 cherokee and it started knocking ten minutes after I fired it up. It's a really weird knock. It comes and goes, and when it shows up the engine runs pretty rough(like it's missing on at least one cylinder).
The torque converter to flex plate bolts are tight, and the flex plate was in good shape.
The engine has really good oil pressure, and I tested compression and everything looked good.
The old engine did the same thing, literally the exact same thing. The old engine was toast, number 2 cylinder was scored pretty bad. The bearings seemed to be in good shape on the old motor, so I never really knew what the knock and misfire were about. The number 2 cylinder had no compression, so I pulled the motor.
Could the ECM, coil rail, or cam sensor cause a whole lot of detonation?
Here's a link to a video of it running.
http://s1068.photobucket.com/albums...on=view&current=video-2012-04-16-12-04-35.mp4

Back