• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

FIAMM Horn Install Problems

bzauche

NAXJA Forum User
Hey all,

I picked up the FIAMM El Grande horn kit from Amazon (Link), but am having some trouble with the install. It comes with the two horns, mounting brackets, and a relay. The relay has a 30 pin, 85, 86, and two 87 pins. Their diagram shows a fused cable coming straight from the battery, into pin 30, which I did. They show both 87 pins going to the horns, one to each, which I did. They also show the 85 pin being the OEM horn wire input, which I did. The problem is, they're not honking! Do I have to connect both OEM wires to the relay, one to 85 and one to 86? I thought the purpose of connecting the OEM wire was just to trigger the relay, so I didn't think it mattered if it was one or both. The horns themselves were grounded to the body of the XJ via their mounting brackets. Any ideas as to what my problem could be?

Thanks!

If 85 is the hot wire trigger , then 86 needs to be grounded.

Well apparently 85 and 86 are interchangeable, so really, one of them needs to be a OEM horn wire, and one needs to be grounded? I just thought about this, but is the relay even necessary, or can these horns run off of the factory wires? There is only one slide-on contact per horn, and I have one horn wire per side...

85 and 86 complete a circuit (the control side of the relay), so one of them has to have the input from the oe horn and the other one grounded.

And yes you do need a relay! It sends full power from #30 directley to the horns. If you ran it off the stock horn its trying to power two horns off the factory harness that was not desiged for it. Go ground #86 and it shoud work.

85 and 86 complete a circuit (the control side of the relay), so one of them has to have the input from the oe horn and the other one grouded.

And yes you do need a relay! It sends full power from #30 directley to the horns. If you ran it off the stock horn its trying to power two horns off the factory harness that was not desiged for it. Go ground #86 and it shoud work.

Awesome, thanks for the help! I'll try it tomorrow afternoon when the neighbors aren't asleep!

I would think everyone has two...one on each side, under the bumper area.

An update on my horns....they work! I grounded the 86 pin like whitexj98 said, and they fired right up. These things are loud! Basically a stock-ish sound, but very loud and authoritative!

Bzauche : write down a dollar amount you feel the tech support you received was worth. Keep doing this whenever you get stuck, and need a little guidance here. When you list adds up to $35, seriously consider getting a membership, one of the best descisions I have made!

Back