• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NP242 wont come out of part time

Tacedaddy

NAXJA Forum User
Like the title says it will shift to 4lo 4 HI and neutral but wont go back to 2wd, the part time light stays on and i can tell when turning im still in 4wd

any ideas

1990 cherokee limited,4.0, np242, 3.5 inches of lift, ford 8.8, 32" tires

You may have to back up a few feet before it go into 2 wheel.Also push on it while your rolling, mine hates moving at a dead stop.Last time mine did this i changed the oil in it and it has been fine.So check your oil, it could be low or real dirty

I usually like to shift into 2wd while moving at a decent speed. At least over 20mph. Get up to speed and firmly and quickly push the lever to the 2wd position and hold it all the way down with your hand. If it doesn't shift right away try to let off the throttle and blip it a few times. Maybe even throw the transmission into neutral

i got on interstate and pressed it down firmly at about 65mph and it went back into 2wd.. I guess next time i have some spare cash ill replace the chain and shift fork in it

If the chain isn't skipping teeth or making noise I'd leave it. The shift fork pads might need to be looked at. But even then if it shifts smoothly and goes in and out of all of the modes, I wouldn't bother opening it up. Maybe make sure the linkage is adjusted properly. The 242 can be finnicky but it doesn't mean there is a problem

I used to have to slam my 242 into 2wd. It seems like the extra shift position on the 242 compared to the 231 makes the gate positions really tight between 2wd and 4Lo and the linkage has to be adjusted just right. I took off the center console and used a dremel to cut the stops on the metal gate further to the front (at 2wd) and further to the back (at 4Lo). Now the adjustment doesn't have to be dead-nuts on and it shifts into 2wd much easier.

Ive had that issue with my 242 a few times. Ive had to put the tranny in neutral to get it back in 2wd. It usually works every time like that. Also you might want to look at the linkage, mines was off a tad the first time I did it.

linkage appears ok, i took a look at it this morning. I've been doing some reading and apparently the 242 doesnt like uneven tires. My nittos are at about half tread up front and full tread in the back.. that could be some of the issue

it wasn't going back into 2wd because the linkage is not adjusted properly.

uneven tires would not have caused this problem, if they were. backing it up, or rolling in neutral would have solved it, not driving 65.

FYI, I would not drive in part time on the highway, Full-time is the mode that allows slip in the driveline for highway/high traction surface driving.

I didn't see this mentioned but the 242 is known for having a weak shift fork. banging on it real hard to force it into gear tends to bend em.

What grimm said. Plus the rod that goes from the lever to the z crap easily bends. I've bent mine on my ZJ a few times.

Back