• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Plumbing my transmission cooler.

Cottontail

Three-De Off-Road
Jeep is a 2001 XJ. I mounted an Explorer tranny cooler on the driver side of the radiator, mounted it sideways with one port on the top and one on the bottom, facing the middle of the Jeep.

So, make sure that I am right on the plumbing.

1. split the lower soft hose running from the radiator to the transmission (or another option...since the soft hose only seems to be about 5 or 6 inches and it is hard line on either side, just cut the soft part out altogether and hook the new hoses to the hard lines with hose clamps)
2. on the tranny cooler, the top port should be connected to the split hose/line that runs to the transmission
3. on the tranny cooler, the bottom port should be connected to the split hose/line that is connected to the radiator.

Does that sound correct? Is the tranny hose a pressure hose? Do I need a specific one?

Quick question: Did you flush the used cooler with solvent and compressed air before mounting it up? If not, it's probably got some gunk + possibly incompatible ATF still inside.

The hardline that has a short section of rubber on it is low pressure, so no worries. How you plumb it in really depends on what you what to end up with. If the fluid runs through the cooler, then the radiator, it's going to be heated back up to somewhere around engine temp before returning to the tranny. I don't see any gain in doing it that way.

That leaves:
1. Let it run through the radiator first, then the extra cooler
2. Eliminate the radiator cooler from the circuit entirely and just use the exploder cooler.

Quick question: Did you flush the used cooler with solvent and compressed air before mounting it up? If not, it's probably got some gunk + possibly incompatible ATF still inside.

That leaves:
1. Let it run through the radiator first, then the extra cooler
2. Eliminate the radiator cooler from the circuit entirely and just use the exploder cooler.

Yes, I did flush it, but I'll do it one more time just to be safe. I didn't use a solvent though, just compressed air. What solvent did you use?

So, the fluid will enter the radiator at the top port, run though the radiator, exit the radiator at the lower radiator line, flow into lower cooler port, through the cooler, then out the upper cooler port and back into the transmission.

Back