• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Extending fuel lines into trunk

bmyohn

NAXJA Forum User
I am in the process of placing a fuel cell in the trunk. I have the adapter to use the original fuel pump and sending unit. I have no issues extending the wiring into the trunk. But I am not sure what to use to extend the fuel lines into the trunk. From what I have heard/read there is quite a bit of fuel pressure in the metal lines. I was planning on just using rubber fuel lines but am not sure if it will hold up to the pressure.

What do you guys recommend using that will hold up to the pressure?

Thanks!

you can use rubber hose just make sure it is rated for fuel injection. what I would do however is use a small section of it to connect a piece of steel line to the existing line on the frame, then bend the line up to get fuel to your cell and use another small piece to connect the new line to the pump output.

Ah, I didn't think about that. That would probably work perfectly. I will just make sure to double clamp the rubber lines.

use fuel injection clamps as well, they are better suited to clamping higher pressure line.

they look like this:

2ilg1dv.jpg

Suggestion

Hi there,

After having built a few race cars with fuel cells I have a couple suggestions for your safety.

Since your newest passenger is a bomb (that was the joke we always shared about bringing the fuel cell into the passenger compartment), I would suggest a few things easily purchased at Jegs or even Napa if they have an expanded inventory...

Steel braided lines and fittings for pressure, return and vent hoses. These things are Strong! In the unlikely event you do something wild and the cell breaks loose, it can hang from the lines without breaking them and thereby keep fuel off you and an ignition source. Doing the whole XJ is pricey, but the couple lines and fittings you need will be reasonable.
350-8122.jpg

Tip Over ball valve. This little dood goes into the vent line close to the tank and has a big steel ball which drops to block the vent line if you happen to put the shiny side down, preventing pouring the contents out under your XJ.
FSS-DV100-DescrimnatorValve1in.jpg

Please consider this as I care about all XJ folks and want to keep the family safe! Have fun
:wave1:

Back