• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tranny lines!! Help!

trust96xj

NAXJA Forum User
So today I blew the upper line, don't know of its return or supply, but I want to mod this so it doesn't happen again. Has quick discos and it came off and dumped my fluid today and made a big mess and I barely made it to a station. Can I chop that disco and reattach the flex line to the hard line with some clamps? I was afraid this was going to happen and it did. And scared the shit out of my gf. I'm just curious. Thanks a million guys. I don't know if this is high or normal pressure line sO I need to ask. Thanks all!
-tyler

Yes you can.
I would slide the hose up a bit & double clamp it just to be extra secure.
I also prefer the constant pressure clamps (Like the factory hose clamps that you squeeze the ends to loosen), Not the standard screw down hose clamps.
Good Luck.

So today I blew the upper line, don't know of its return or supply, but I want to mod this so it doesn't happen again. Has quick discos and it came off and dumped my fluid today and made a big mess and I barely made it to a station. Can I chop that disco and reattach the flex line to the hard line with some clamps? I was afraid this was going to happen and it did. And scared the shit out of my gf. I'm just curious. Thanks a million guys. I don't know if this is high or normal pressure line sO I need to ask. Thanks all!
-tyler

Yes you can.
I would slide the hose up a bit & double clamp it just to be extra secure.
I also prefer the constant pressure clamps (Like the factory hose clamps that you squeeze the ends to loosen), Not the standard screw down hose clamps.
Good Luck.

Thanks man! I've seen constant pressure clamps, but are the available at any auto parts store? I've only seen em at like hydraulic shops.

here at NAPA they are called "Corbin Clamps"

couldnt find any that were big enough to get around the 5/8" just got some extra wide hose clamps and im gonna double up on them. also need to drain that cruddy "RACEauto" atf i got at the mobile station just to keep the night rolling. gotta wait for my peep to cool down and ill be starting my saturday project.

if it was slipping at all, you already did considerable damage to the frictions and steels. DO NOT drive a vehicle that lost enough tranny fluid to slip unless you want to be rebuilding it far sooner.

if it was slipping at all, you already did considerable damage to the frictions and steels. DO NOT drive a vehicle that lost enough tranny fluid to slip unless you want to be rebuilding it far sooner.

Well I stopped at the first place I could. Shoulder was closed on the freeway. So I pulled off. Barely slipped and I refilled and checked level every mile to make sure it was staying at the filled level. It's good now. I know it's real flammable. That's why I made my gf stay away when I pulled over. And I always keep an extinguisher on hand in my front seat. I refilled it and changed fluid and filter today. No metal or anything in there where it shouldn't be. I don't think anything was damaged what so ever.

Similar thing happened to me, my UCA crushed the hard line against the oil pan when I flexed it, so it was leaking like a sieve. I ended up driving it 3+ miles with little to no trans fluid left, slipping bad the last 1/4 mile or so. Barely limped it into a Walgreen's lot and let the manager know so it didn't get towed or whatever. Came back the next day and fixed it up/filled it and it shifted fine. Few months later at an offroad event I was thrashing on the Jeep hard, ended up killing my alt and overheating badly without noticing (temp sensor doesn't seem to work with very low voltage:doh: lol.) So anyways, still using the same AW4, offroad and everything. It's really impressed me, the amount of abuse it's taken. I'd say if it's working fine you're good to go.

P.S. Back when I broke my trans lines it was just pouring onto the exhaust, smoking like hell. I was too stupid at the time to think "hmmm thats flammable" but anyways, no fire occurred. ATF flashpoint is around 400-500 Fahrenheit, exhaust temps around the trans area are right around there. Needless to say the Jeep is now equipped with a fire extinguisher...

Last edited:
Similar thing happened to me, my UCA crushed the hard line against the oil pan when I flexed it, so it was leaking like a sieve. I ended up driving it 3+ miles with little to no trans fluid left, slipping bad the last 1/4 mile or so. Barely limped it into a Walgreen's lot and let the manager know so it didn't get towed or whatever. Came back the next day and fixed it up/filled it and it shifted fine. Few months later at an offroad event I was thrashing on the Jeep hard, ended up killing my alt and overheating badly without noticing (temp sensor doesn't seem to work with very low voltage:doh: lol.) So anyways, still using the same AW4, offroad and everything. It's really impressed me, the amount of abuse it's taken. I'd say if it's working fine you're good to go.

P.S. Back when I broke my trans lines it was just pouring onto the exhaust, smoking like hell. I was too stupid at the time to think "hmmm thats flammable" but anyways, no fire occurred. ATF flashpoint is around 400-500 Fahrenheit, exhaust temps around the trans area are right around there. Needless to say the Jeep is now equipped with a fire extinguisher...

Yea my exhaust was smoking alot. It went all over the underside of my truck. And since it happened I went out and tries to see how hard I can push it. Shifting fine, no problems. From what I've heard, with proper servicing, aw4's are rather bulletproof. I'm keeping an extinguisher on hand and now have replaced fluid filter and removed the quick disco from the line. I've also smashed my hard line with my UCA.

Back