• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D30 Ball joint up/down play normal?

Mike1331

NAXJA Forum User
So when i lift my front tires up w/ a jack and put them back down i notice up/down movement in my knuckle ball joints. Is this normal?

It says in a description on the napa website that up/down play is normal. I think this is the first time i've jacked up my jeep while actually looking at my ball joints/knuckles while lifting.

Ummmm, maybe for a worn out joint.

Last time my XJ was on the alignment rack, the tech showed me some up/down play. It was barely perceptable, but there. I drove it to my bud's house replaced the joints, no more "clunk" sound coming from the front end.

NAPA Premium, FTW!

So when i lift my front tires up w/ a jack and put them back down i notice up/down movement in my knuckle ball joints. Is this normal?

It says in a description on the napa website that up/down play is normal. I think this is the first time i've jacked up my jeep while actually looking at my ball joints/knuckles while lifting.

I am going to "Assume" you are jacking the truck up by the axle tubes or center section and not under the knuckle itself.

Either way...

Neither in/out or up down is "Normal".

Replace lower joint. Upper joint is eventually a pin.

Back