• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Interesting Story

PacificEd

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
I remember back in the early 1980's, my uncle owned a Shay locomotive and it was stored at the Frogge and Williams offices in Jamestown, TN. It was a neat 2 truck Shay and I remember climbing on it as a kid.

Uncle Frank told the story of how they brought it in from Kentucky on a lowbed and to get under a bridge, they let some air out of the trailer tires.

Unfortunately Uncle Frank passed away back in 1984 and the locomotive was sold. Aunt Margaret sold it to a place in Kennebunk Port, Maine. That was the last I knew of the location of the locomotive.

A model train friend and I were talking 6 months ago and I mentioned the Shay. He said there was a website that documented all the known location of Shays and we proceeded to look to see if it was there.

Here is what we found: http://www.shaylocomotives.com/data/lima/sn-918.htm

Sure enough, Uncle Frank bought the locomotive in 1970. What was even more interesting is who and where is bought it from.

I thought this was pretty cool.

0918surv.jpg

The last name it had on the tender when I saw it last was Dixie Mountain Railroad.

Thats awesome Ed! History is always good stuff but much better when it involves family like that.

I thought it was cool that the Shay was owned by the Intermountain Coal & Lumber Co. in Putney, Kentucky and then my Uncle ended up with it. Now we wheel there.

And i believe Tiffs grandfather has ties to harlan. Maybe grew up there as a kid, can't remember.

I thought it was cool that the Shay was owned by the Intermountain Coal & Lumber Co. in Putney, Kentucky and then my Uncle ended up with it. Now we wheel there.

I think it is cool that your uncle owned a freakin' train!

He had an L&N wooden side caboose too. It is still in Jamestown, TN.

Cool!

I remember you telling me this story, Ed. Cool stuff.

Back