• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Roll over red-line(s).

Alaskan89XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Could not find info., so am going to ask if some of 'ya-all know by experience, lol, just what degrees it takes for an XJ to roll over?

Have read that the OEM XJ is top heavy, and prone to easy roll overs. True? False? Given 'equal side-slope-terrain', it would seem that only one person, the driver for example, would add weight favoring an easier rollover on that side, rather than a rollover towards the empty passenger side. Adding a spare tire/wheel, etc., on top between the cargo rails would add to the top heavy problem of weight leverage enhancing rollover conditions, etc.

To add to the complexities, the amplification of various lift kit heights would make the rollover situation more pronounced.., at any speed. (!?!)

Perhaps someone has found a handy chart that could address this issue, I had no success. However, being somewhat self-serving, (with no safety-spotters available), I'd like to know about what is thought on just how far over, (in degrees), I can place my XJ on a side slope travel, (at a crawl), before falling over, as noted in (b.).
ROLL OVER DEGREES FOR THE FOLLOWING, please.
a. DD: zero inch lift. Degrees____?
b. 2" lift, with rear sway bar gone, JKS disco in front, 30"x9.50 tires on oem wheels. This is my concern, and I'd like some feed back. Degrees____?
c. 3" lift--?
d. 4" lift--?
Etc.
I would think that there may be a few of us who would like to hear from experienced driver's as to this issue.
Thanks all, for your considerations into this safety matter.:us:

To be honest here, I do not think folk stop to take the measurement of the incline as the Heep is going over on it's side...

IMO, there are too many variables here to get any sort of definitive "by lift" tipping point. Does the Heep have an Exo cage? One on the inside? Is the tire on the roof? Did the Driver steer uphill? All sorts of issues.

For reference only, I have been wheeling since '61.

And, here is a little something for you to peruse.

https://www.accidentreconstruction.com/research/suv/rollovers[1].pdf

2.5" of lift, 37s, wider than stock axles and wheels, no cage, nothing heavy up top, this is on its way over
5736_687273077194_4922808_n.jpg

stock. i was impressed at how much it took, then again it was a totally different situation than actually driving it.
newjeep_0115.jpg

most rollovers i see are the result of a bad hop, or have speed and momentum involved.

weird, i've been leaned at least that much with 35's and 5" of lift.

right front tire is in a hole while the left front is high up on the shotcrete, there used to be video of it, but the dude who hosted it took it down for whatever reason.

there was a 6.5" lifted xj on 35's roll before they got nearly as far as me on this line.

towards the end of the video 5:35

right front tire is in a hole while the left front is high up on the shotcrete, there used to be video of it, but the dude who hosted it took it down for whatever reason.

there was a 6.5" lifted xj on 35's roll before they got nearly as far as me on this line.

towards the end of the video 5:35

thats pretty sketch, i dont think i'd play on that line.

I get the impression that no more than 30 degrees 'list' is about safe for us DD 2"ers wrestling around in hilly trails, and creek crossings, etc. Youse guys with the big wheels/wide axles look like you approach 45 degrees with fanfare.

I have several 'bubble' level tubes scavanged from several broken/bent carpenter levels, and intend to fashion a base/holder for them set at 30 deg., maybe 35 deg. port, and starboard, and one in the middle for actual level-level, (all in all, sort of a triangular shape). Great home made tool for me to have in my XJ during the long cold dis-orientated nights in Alaska--out on some really bad hilly trails I must sometimes deal with. Gave away my official Rugged Ridge chi-com incline-o-meter/compass, as it was too affected by all the metal in the XJ, and could not be located well enough to use the degree feature. Young squirt down the road put it on his atv, and can at least 'mo-'betta find his way home.

"Ya all have some really interesting feedback thus far. Thanks!

Back