• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Many issues, please read?!?!

helliphinon8

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 98 XJ with 156k on the clock, also has 33's and stock gears. I recently have had a problem with it not shifting into overdrive, it's currently shooting the following codes... P0705, tranny range sensor. P0740, Torque Converter Clutch Solenoid. P0700, Tranny Control System. My ? is... What sensor do I change? And where is it??

Also a new development, today it started idling rough and misfiring. It threw a P0305 code, cylinder misfire on cyl #5. Probable cause...bad plug, bad coil, vacuum leak, high or low fuel pressure. It has a new cap and rotor and new wires. The plugs have 50k on them. WTF? :banghead:

Before I started replacing things, I'd use a quality multimeter to check that the sensor values are within factory service manual specs. Also check to see that the wires connecting to the sensors show the correct voltage, etc.. If the sensor values don't check out, the sensor is bad. If the voltage, etc. at the wires is not in spec, then either the wiring is faulty or the PCM is bad(or there could be a bad connection).

At 50k miles, the plugs are probably due for replacement.

Before you start throwing money at replacing parts, test things. Pull up wiring diagrams for each individual part. Color code it, and test everything like machinist previously stated. It will take extra time but in the end it will be worth it. Just have a good DMM and check everything. Another route is pulling up a flow chart if your totally clueless on where to start manufactorers have developed flow charts to diagnosis many of the codes that you previously listed. If you are a do it yourselfer I recommend it whether you had this issue or not go on AllDatadiy.com enter your vehicle and you will get all of the information, specs, tools required, even prices for parts on your specific vehicle. It's pretty inexpensive and really worth it.

Oh and when you do test everything and everything seems to be ok, and you turn towards replacing the PCM, go BACK and retest everything. A common oversite (i have done it myself) is that you test everything and everything is pointing right towards the PCM, but when I go back there is that one wire i missed, or one connector I didn't inspect closely. It saved the customer a lot of money

Back