• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hybrid cage build thread

northwestxj

NAXJA Member #1283
I've wanted to build a roll cage in my XJ for quite some time now. Hybrid cages that are popular in my area (PNW) have always appealed to me. They offer good protection (both to the passengers and Jeep) and are still visually appealing. After a few recent wheeling trips I knew it was time to start on one. Here's some of the beginning stuff.

I started by plating my rear frame rails because I wanted to run my rear shocks through the floor and plating them would make a solid spot to weld to. I plated the outside first.

P1020008.jpg

P1020012.jpg

P1020013.jpg

Then I plated a section of the inside as well. I came up with an idea to run the top section of the inside plate through the floor board (through a slit in the floor) so I could weld that frame plate to my "D" pillar plate. This way, the frame is tied into the "D" pillar plate instead of the plate simply being welded to the sheet metal floor. This will increase strength and also rigidity of the the whole back end of the Jeep due to the cage being tied directly into the frame. Here's the cut out plates:

Drivers side (big notch is for the cutout for the gas tank filler hoses)
P1020006.jpg

Passenger side
P1020016.jpg

Then I cut the slit in the floor and prepped for the "D" pillar floor plate
P1020010.jpg

Here is the inside plates, along with a couple gussets for each side welded on: (The nuts that are welded on are for my rear bumper tie in's as the bolts now run through the frame, that is sleeved, and into those nuts)

Drivers
P1020045.jpg

Passenger
P1020043.jpg

P1020041.jpg

Here is the the top of them poking through the floor
P1020020.jpg

P1020019.jpg

Next I made some "D" pillar plates with the slit for the the inside frame plate and gussets to come through. I beveled around the slit for better welding
P1020022.jpg

P1020024.jpg

Here is the plate sitting there
P1020025.jpg

P1020026.jpg

And welded
P1020028.jpg

P1020030.jpg

P1020032.jpg

Ground smooth
P1020039.jpg

P1020038.jpg

Next order of business was starting on some lower shock mounts/bump stop pads. My rear shocks lower mounting point was now going to be on top of my rear leaf spring plate. I have always had a piece of 2x1 welded onto these for my rear bump stops so I wanted to incorporate that into this as well because I liked how it worked. I used a piece of 1/8" 2x1 and decided to add an 1/8" rib inside of it vertically to keep them from bending. Mine never bent but a buddy of mine who did the same as me bent his.

Here is the start of it with a piece of 3/16" on both sides for my shock mounts
P1000344.jpg

Then I added a 1/8" weld washer/plate on each side to thicken up the mounting point a little and also tie the shock tabs into the bumpstop extensions
P1000343.jpg

Welded it all up
P1000348.jpg

P1000345.jpg

P1000347.jpg

P1000351.jpg

P1000352.jpg

Here they are primed (by the way, the offset hole is where a hockey puck mounts as my strike pad for my bumpstops. It is offset due the vertical rib that is welded inside of the 2x1 in the middle)
P1020015.jpg

Next I drove it to my buddy's who is awesome with a bender (and I don't have one yet) and it was time to actually start bending and working on the CAGE!

Start of the halo and the pillars poking through the roof
P1020065.jpg

P1020067.jpg

P1020066.jpg

Came up with the idea to get the halo all the way against the rain gutter so it could be welded to it. This would increase the strength of the cage alot and the rigidity of the Jeep
P1020054.jpg

"B" pillar spreader
P1020079.jpg

The "B" pillar comes down and lands on the frame tie in for my rocker replacements/boatsides I made a while ago
P1020049.jpg

"D" pillar and "B" pillar
P1020070.jpg

"D" pillar through the window
P1020073.jpg

Made a tube "node" where they all meet at the "B" spreader
P1020091.jpg

Whole halo off the Jeep being welded up
P1020092.jpg

P1020093.jpg

P1020097.jpg

The cage is basically done now, minus some finishing touches. I worked on some painting today which really sucked. I didn't take many (read any) of the construction of the shock mounts but I will hopefully take some updated pics tomorrow or the next day and update, along with some more finished shots of the whole cage.

xcm said:
Loving the build thread, nice attention to detail, absolutely loving the rear cage/rear leaf hanger tie in....

John D said:
First time I have seen that idea for the rear tie-in, I like that.

I was thinking the same thing. GREAT work! :cheers:

Ya to be honest I'm not really sure why nobody has done it that way that I've seen in the past. I was planning out some of the cage one day and it just hit me. I think that it is a great way to get the frame tied into the cage mount. Should help to stiffen up the Jeep a ton as well, especially with all the shock stuff I got going on in the back. Should be able to take some pics of that stuff tomorrow.

Some more updated pics:

Rear shock mounts, etc.
P1020106.jpg

The holes with have some tube welded in and a boot attached around it and the shock to seal them off
P1020115.jpg

Shock hoops go through the floor and land on a tube "stand-off" welded to the frame
P1020139.jpg

P1020132.jpg

P1020113.jpg

P1020116.jpg

"B" pillar cross bracing
P1020127.jpg

P1020126.jpg

P1020121.jpg

Priming the top
P1020105.jpg

Still got alot more painting to do, should get quite a bit more done within the next couple days.

Looking forward to seeing the halo welded to the drip rail. Been dreaming of something similar, but haven't ever seen it done. Everything looks great. I love the extra attention keeping the tube work tight to the body. Looks very clean.
Lightfoot

WTF? Someone on NAXJA triangulating their cage? :D
Ya, it is a little rare but does happen, haha.

crazyjim said:
Lookin' great dude! Like the rest of the guys who've said so, definitely following this build. Any reason you chose not to do an X and only running a single diagonal bar?
Thanks man. I am only running one bar for rear seat clearance. I would have liked to run a full X but the lower tube would literally be touching or very very close to the passengers knee just sitting there. I want to be able to retain that single WJ rear seat because I use it quite often and don't want to risk them bashing their knee into it.

Wow! I'm really liking this cage! Great job!!

Bill

Personally, i think 1 diagonal inside the b-piller is plenty...

Those shock mounts are differant too... this build is refreshing.

Nice work! I like a lot of what your doing, keep up the good work!

Back