• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

control arms

99VAXJer

NAXJA Forum User
Looking at upper and lower control arms its my DD and i do some heavy rock crawling on occasion just was wondering what everyone recommended I was looking at JKS ones but didn't know I want something that is going to ride good but I do put about 75 miles a day on it so just looking for suggestions

how much lift are you on? what do you consider heavy rock crawling? if you're lifted more than 3" or so you're not going to get a good ride out of short ams unless you invest in some drop brackets. if you want it to ride nice go long arms.

If you don't go with long arms now you are going to want them someday and will have wasted the money on the short arms. The ride will be so much better with long arms. I wanted the RC long arms but lately I haven't been able to stop looking at Serious Offroads long arms. They look really beefy and the joints on them are top quality. Much better then you will get with Rubicon Express or Rough Country.

I'm at 4 to 4.5 (o.m.e. Dpg hybrid) with JkS arms and DD and mine rides nicely

maybe I don't know what I'm missing but I'm happy with my ride quality .

maybe if I was any taller it would ride like trash?

It seems to be a pretty widely accepted idea that short arms ride rough over a certain amount of lift but I know mine rides nice just the way it is.

I've been in a few taller rigs or cheaper lift/shock combos about my size that rode like trash on their short arms though.

Last edited:
savvy.

longarms and drop brackets are ghey for rock-crawling, get hung up to much.

"Heavy rock crawling" did this to my Rubicon express arms...

IMG_20111214_132853-1.jpg

Upgraded to some TNT long arms, ride pretty much the same as short arms and drops but supper beef. If your looking at all new contol arms and drops I would just go to long arms.

i think its pointless to invest in new arms and drop brackets. at that point, your not far off from a set of long arms, especially if your buying adjustable uppers and lowers... which id want at least adjustable uppers.
:

hmm I only have adjustable lowers and when I looked into c.a. Length recommendations the uppers were still recommended to be stock length and the lowers slightly longer than stock
(at least at my height)

there are a couple of charts reccomending length by height as a starting point around the net. (maybe gojeep had one of them ?)
that's where I got that from.

just out of curiousity why would you say uppers are more important ?
Allways ready to learn something new

the JKS ones look stronger than the RE ones but I don't think I've hit them hard enough to bent the RE ones like Whitexj98 did.

Last edited:
soooo... leafs? :dunno:

short arms.

hmm I only have adjustable lowers and when I looked into c.a. Length recommendations the uppers were still recommended to be stock length and the lowers slightly longer than stock
(at least at my height)

there are a couple of charts reccomending length by height as a starting point around the net. (maybe gojeep had one of them ?)
that's where I got that from.

just out of curiousity why would you say uppers are more important ?
Allways ready to learn something new

the JKS ones look stronger than the RE ones but I don't think I've hit them hard enough to bent the RE ones like Whitexj98 did.

adjustable uppers give you the ability to dial your caster and pinion angle without moving the axle. really you should have adjustable uppers and lowers to really dial it in.

CrazyJim is right again... Ask me why I went back with short arms and drop brackets on my go fast build? Could it be because short arms / DB combo have won more Jeepspeed championships than LA's? Maybe.

if you are only concerned with ride quality, DBs are a good idea.

but if you are into heavy rock-crawling they'll get hung up too much.

teraflex, or jks arms. rubicon arms ain't all they're cracked up to be....especially now.
also, if you're really talented, you can get hung up on any part of your jeep. i got hung up on my passenger rear window once. :dunce:

teraflex, or jks arms. rubicon arms ain't all they're cracked up to be....especially now.
also, if you're really talented, you can get hung up on any part of your jeep. i got hung up on my passenger rear window once. :dunce:

What about Currie Arms? Are cheaper than JKS and have JJ at both sides.

DPG off road has good prices on JKS arms, i run 3.5" lift with JKS short arms upper and lower. rides great. No vibrations, tons of flex.

For a DD i would say the rubber bushings and the zero bind operation of the JKS arms make them a no brainer.

personally, for a dd, i wouldn't want flex joints at both ends. not much vibration/whatever dampening. jks are great, and the tera arms have their big ass flex joint at one end for good bind-free range of motion, and a big oe style rubber bushing at the other for a nice ride. i'd pick jks first because they build top quality stuff and also because teraflex's lack of xj support annoys me, but that's just me.

What about Currie Arms? Are cheaper than JKS and have JJ at both sides.

Running long arms with hard joints at each end and I am happy with my ride quality. Also, I drug them a couple times, but never been hung up on them.

personally, for a dd, i wouldn't want flex joints at both ends. not much vibration/whatever dampening. jks are great, and the tera arms have their big ass flex joint at one end for good bind-free range of motion, and a big oe style rubber bushing at the other for a nice ride. i'd pick jks first because they build top quality stuff and also because teraflex's lack of xj support annoys me, but that's just me.

currie joints do not transmit NVH. they use a proprietary urethane bushing race that is actually quite soft and soaks up all the vibes.

rubber bushings are ghey.

my vote is still for savvy. currie joints, but blinging aluminum, and they are great guys...well, gerald is a great guy. blaine on the other hand... :laugh3:

Back