• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bad Fuel Pressure?

89heepxj

NAXJA Forum User
I have been having a major problem. After running for a bit, going up hill with less then half a tank (and now with a full tank) my 89 XJ will sputter, then eventually die. Hitting the gas pedal only makes it die faster.

Attached a video of the noise it makes (click on the picture brings you to the video). I have two audio files if you guys need them.

I am thinking I have a lack of fuel pressure somewhere because it acts like it is not getting gas. I have brought it to 3 different shops now and no one can replicate the problem or fix it, yet they still manage to charge me an arm and leg for basically no work.

All help is greatly appreciated and I can provide anything you may need to answer my question or get me in the ballpark somewhere.

Pick up a cheap manual fuel pressure gauge from HF or Autozone to verify fuel pressure. If the pressure is really going bad, I would expect it to be the short piece of hose from the fuel pump to the mount, inside the tank. They get old and start to leak, but as long as the hose is below the level of the gas, you still get enough to run. Going up hill causes the gas to run to the back of the tank, exposing the hose.

It can be changed without dropping the tank. It isn't the most fun thing to do, but it can be done.

When we were trying to figure out the Auto Shutdown censor we replaced the fuel pump. I will go get one of those and hook it up today. Didn't know they had them.

An 89 does not have an auto shutdown sensor. The fuel pump relay is controlled by the ECU. It simply shuts off the relay if the engine is no longer running.

Well, we replaced an auto shutdown sensor on mine.. Weird solved the problem as well.

Thanks, I am getting low pressure when it starts to act up.

Note from DJ
I found these two posts by you with what may be the same problem because there was never a final post by you whether the problem was fixed or not & if the problem was corrected it would be nice to know how.

Cutting out & Stopping.
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1034120
OP by 89heepxj on 3-22-2010
April 2009 I replaced the broken I6 in my jeep with a new one. I then replaced distributor, cooling, and a lot of electrical.

The Problem: I get in the car in the morning and take off. It runs fine even amazingly with no power loss for most of the day. It then would occasionally feel like something was slipping and jerk pretty bad. I had the transfer case rebuilt and the transmission looked at, this wasn’t the problem. I brought it to a pretty trusted mechanic and they did a complete tune up. Spark plugs, wires, complete cooling/oil flush and change. It started running fine. 4 days later it did it again. This time it kept doing it. I would drive and it would cut out and hitting the gas didn't do anything except make somewhat quit backfire noises out the pipe. Brought it back and found some bad vacuum hoses going to the gas sensor. It ran fine for a while and then it happened again. Brought it to an electrical place and they couldn't get the damn jeep to act up.

So problems are it goes and jerks, then cuts out, gas pedal quits working and eventually the car dies. Leads me to think gas problem; But the injection system and fuel pump/filter and lines are good. What else could it be?
-----------------
Won’t stay running.
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1002731
OP by 89heepxj on 7-22-2009
So lately when starting my XJ it won't stay running until the around the 20th time. It turns over and then starts but dies as soon as you let go of the key.

New engine last march. It just started recently doing this.
------------------
Now regarding your auto shutdown sensor, I think you might be referring to the B+, Power Latch or Automatic Shutdown Relay; it is referred to by many names. It is one of the 3 or 4 relays located on the passenger’s side front fender well if this is what you are talking about. I’m just looking for clarification on this so that we are all on the same page.

I to hope you didn’t accidently by a Airtex fuel pump as there have been a lot of past posts regarding there short life span.

Please keep us posted as to your progress so we know if you need more help or not.

Last edited:
Back