• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering Wheel Vibrating over 60

buytick

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 97 XJ - stock. I recently had a CROK steering brace installed and had the frame welded where necessary. Prior to the installation, I couldn't go over 60 without a lot of shaking through the steering wheel. Now, it is much better, but when I go over 70, I still get the shaking (vibrating) thru the steering wheel. The rest of the car doesn't vibrate. I can touch the dash or the shift lever and they are rock solid. I have had the tires balanced twice and had a wheel alignment. Any suggestions as to what to check next???

Find a better place to have your tires balanced. The shop should have a balance machine capable of performing a Road Force Balance.

Yep, had that issue with an old set of tires ... balanced at one shop (old school spin balancer) and the vibe was less but still there. Tried a different shop with the doo-dad road force balancer ... blammo, smooth riding.

And if you get to the point where you are completely confident that it isn't tires/wheels, here is a list of stuff to verify.
-------------------------------------------
-Improper lug nut torque on wheels
-Front alignment out of spec
-Loose track bar
-Worn track bar bushings
-Worn track bar
-Bad control arms and associated bushings
-Worn/damaged steering stabilizer (not generally a cause in and by itself)
-Worn/damaged shocks
-Worn/damaged tie rod end
-Bad U Joint
-Bad ball joint
-Loose frame mount

x2 on a different shop - and tell them to put the weights on the inside and/or outside of the wheel, whatever it needs; some shops only place weights on the inside (for looks i suppose)- duznt do a real good job of balancing.

Back