• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front Driveshaft Q

Devilfrog

NAXJA Forum User
OK, so I'm currently using my front driveshaft on my rear end ... leaving me a little short on front driveshaft needs ...

I'm wondering if I can swap a shortened YJ front driveshaft (and T-case output yoke) onto the front?
My old '81 Bronco was a standard single U-joint front shaft of similar length and I never had issues with that one. And the TTB dropped out way more than the cherokee's front does, and swung on a similar arc to a solid axle. even with hubs locked on the highway I never had any vibes there.
As long as I match the pinion angles up should I be OK? Or am I missing something here? Hell, my pinion angle in the front is almost perfect now with stock uppers and extended lowers ... although it's likely I have too much negative caster now (my pinion pretty much parallels the front output).

Am I way off base here or is it possible? I can get shafts shortened for ~$40

because a used shaft from the junkyard is ~$75 bucks here ... because XJ and ZJ shafts are made of gold don't ya know. I can get a YJ shaft for almost free cause they're made of lead apparently.

I can get shafts shortened for ~$40

Just curious here.. But is this shortened and balanced? Thats a great deal if so. But IIRC aren't YJ front shaft the NON double cardan style?
May also consider posting in the FS section in your local chapter for a front DS. Maybe someone close has what ya need?

Last edited:
Back