• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help with Gear install

XJwheelman

NAXJA Forum User
hey everyone,

My brother and I are re-gearing the D30's on our XJ's and we could use some help. We are both learning as we go and we have hit a wall when it comes to re-gearing. He has a HP D30 that needs 4.88 gears and I need 4.56. We picked up our rear axles and they were already geared.
One of the problem areas is crushing the sleeve on the pinion. We don't seem to have the right tools to do the job. Can you guys help us out?

the D30 does not use a crush sleeve. also, on the D30 for gears numerically 3.73 and higher you need a different carrier, more than likely the stock carrier is sized for 3.55 or 3.07 (auto vs manual) or 4.10 (if the axle came out of a 4cyl).

any idea what specs is supposed to be.15 in lbs?

so just useing the shims no need to add a pre-load sweet!

how about measuring the depth of the pinion anyone have good tips for that? I have a vernier caliper, and dial indicator any other tools you guys recommend

Yeah we have all the pieces. We just don't know how to set the carrier and pinion up. If all else fails does anyone know of a shop in the Tri-state area that does gear installs?

Don't give up.....then let me know how it goes. I am about to tackle a d44 gear install for the first time too.

To be honest, however many 8.8's you've done, you guys sound clueless.

There are plenty of threads on here about setting up Dana 30 gears, and you really don't need much - if any - specialty tools to do the job. Do yourselves a favor and read the stuff that's already out there and learn what you're actually doing, instead of asking questions piecemeal.

I can't personally recommend any shops but there are plenty around that'll do gears.

To be honest, however many 8.8's you've done, you guys sound clueless.

There are plenty of threads on here about setting up Dana 30 gears, and you really don't need much - if any - specialty tools to do the job. Do yourselves a favor and read the stuff that's already out there and learn what you're actually doing, instead of asking questions piecemeal.

I can't personally recommend any shops but there are plenty around that'll do gears.

Eh not really clueless in general as you put it, more so not as confident with our knowledge on the d30 to do it. We have done some research, and learned some we have gotten other tips and tricks which is helpful. The hp30 and the 8.8 are set up differently :gee:. We have done our research and probably would be better off using alldata, or some buddies near by.

The only thing I disagree about this thread is it was placed in the wrong section, we (my brother and I agree) that we should have placed this in our chapter thread. It was looking for some advice about the d30, but more so wanting to meet some members and building it up with somebody who has an ample amount of knowledge and patience to teach us as well as help with the install.

The recommendation from the shop is not needed we are not planning on going that route. We are both pretty mechanically inclined and have self taught our way, and through school (me still learning BTW and still in school) how to do all of this. We have reached a point where our abilities are being tested and some questions need to be asked.

Next time we will pass on posting here since we will just be told to go look somewhere..But for those of you who really like to help out cough cough ^^^ we both want to thank you for your words of wisdom.:clap:

Last edited:
Back