• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What size brake on Dana 35??

jeepdreamer

NAXJA Forum User
Sorry to ask but I've searched under several different wordings and scrolled through 50+ pages and can't find this. Sounds stupid but how do I identify what size the drum brake assembly is on my 2001 Sport 2wd Dana 35 is? Don't suppose its stamped on the drum or something? I need to order new parts and RA has several sizes listed. Please help! :)

My 8.25s have always been the shorter wider ones....
If it were me, I would go take a looksie at them and find out for sure.:D

I'm not opposed to pulling the wheel tonight and looking.. Is it stamped on the drum or where should I measure to make sure? Shoes? And any idea if the guts (springs etc) from a grand cherokee dana 35 would work on an XJ 35?

Just measure. I believe the longer skinny one is 2.5 inches wide and like 9 inches long. I am talking about the shoes themselves.

If you have smooth drums, you have 9" brakes, If you have drums with ridges, you have 10" brakes.

standard.jpg

Awesome! That's what I was fishing for... Thanks!!! Looks like mine are the smoothies. :)
So left field question... Would the bigger ones from a GC Dana 35 convert if one swapped over backing plates and all? Would that even be worth the effort?
While I was under there taking pics (and feeding the ants nest I lay down on, OUCH!) I noticed that the stupid, ghetto trailer hitch that someone half @$$ put on there is even worse than I thought. To begin with they welded it in place, no fasteners and all booger welds. But to make it even better it is so close to the shackle that it hits... Now I know where that rubbing noise is from! Ack! Show me the sawzall!!!!!!!!!!! :firedevil

Awesome! That's what I was fishing for... Thanks!!! Looks like mine are the smoothies. :)
So left field question... Would the bigger ones from a GC Dana 35 convert if one swapped over backing plates and all? Would that even be worth the effort?

I wouldn't waste the effort on a d35. find yourself a 8.25 or d44 and do a disc brake conversion.

or, find a 96 or later ford explorer and pull the 8.8" rear end out of it with disc brakes already on it ;)

Normally I would agree with you 1000%! But since I'm stationed in Germany finding junkyard parts is less than exciting. Unless I want to swap in a VW Golf axle...haha! There is a 94 Grand Cherk on Graf (about 20 minutes away) that has a 35 with the bigger brakes...that's why I asked. Figured if I could rob parts off it until I can get an order together to do something else and can get my new heep through inspection I'd be happy. Just not sure what works. Thanks for the help too!

You will need to know if it is a C clip or not. With a C clip, the axle is held in place with a...C clip! The other axle uses a plate that bolts to the axle housing flange in the drum behind the axle flange. If the bolt patern is the same then you can prossibly swap. Depends on how much time and money you want to spend.

Where in Germany?

You will need to know if it is a C clip or not. With a C clip, the axle is held in place with a...C clip! The other axle uses a plate that bolts to the axle housing flange in the drum behind the axle flange. If the bolt patern is the same then you can prossibly swap. Depends on how much time and money you want to spend.

Where in Germany?

Only the early models, thru renix years were non-clip on XJ's. All the rest are c-clip

Only the early models, thru renix years were non-clip on XJ's. All the rest are c-clip

All the rest being 'lil cherk AND grand are C clip? So they may swap??

I was at Graf for a year and then they moved me over to Vilseck. One hole to another... :puke: haha. I tried for 11 years to get to Germany but they never would send me. I finally decided I wanted to head to Colorado and here I am in Germany.. go finger! lol!

Back