• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Jeep dying while off road

djlarroc

NAXJA Forum User
1997 XJ 4.0 193k Auto

My jeep has died the last 2 times it has been offroad. Otherwise, it has been running fine.

The first time (3 weeks ago), I was going up a small hill, and stopped to wait for a friend. The jeep died and did not want to start. Would crank, but not turnover. Waited 20 mins, and did not start. Figured it could be fuel related due to hill, rolled to a more flat area, and started right away. 20 mins later, stopped on another small incline, turned off jeep, and did not want to start again. Pushed to more level ground and started within 5 mins. No problems after. Drove home 200+ miles on the interstate and made it home fine.

Yesterday, I took the family hiking. Drove 40 miles to beginning of dirt road, and this time the jeep just died while driving. Pulled over where it was pretty flat, let cool for 20 mins, no start. Rolled back to where I had nose pointing down hill. Waited 5 mins, and it started and ran perfect rest of day.

I had at least half tank both times. Temp has always been right around 210.

I've owned jeep for 7 months, and never had any problems on the street. I drive it almost daily.

I will check fuel pressure, and it could also be CPS, but doesn't makse sense it's driving fine otherwise, does it? Weird coincidence?

Smells like CPS. When they fail, they usually work when cold then crap out when they warm up. The 30+ minute wait for cool down sounds about right. Check your fuel pressure while you're at it.

thanks guys, yeah, i'm bouncing between both causes.

i had put about 500 miles on jeep since last incident with no problems. wish it would do it on the street, so i could get a better idea.

CPS is the most common cause of the symptoms described, and is a more logical conclusion than a faulty fuel pump.

Simply listening for the fuel pump to energize when the key is turned to ON, and the Cherokee has the no-start, will answer that question.

Back