• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rock slider, frame stiffiners

dvsxj2954

NAXJA Forum User
Hey all quick question, my rig is a 1998 xj w/ clayton 8" long arm kit and 33x12.50r15 bfg mt's, its a trail rig and i dont plan on doing much rocks with it (building an s10 truggie for that) my rockers are rusty so i was planning on making some rock sliders to take the place of them anyhow, should i plate the frame? I found a kit for $119 but it covers the bottom of the frame where my clayton arm/trans mount bolts on and i dont want to mofify a boughten kit to fit around it and or weld to it, is there a kit that does just the side of the rame? Also i was considering using 2x2 1/4 wall square tube for thebl sliders, is that the rite way to go? Thanks

i went with (and suggest) 2x6 1/4"
297265_205800426141048_4350323_n.jpg

i did not brace it to the frame, as i want to add stiffeners. i would suggest plating the frame, and at least adding 3 or 4 "legs" that attach to your rocker replacement.

Find 3/16, not 1/4. 1/4" is stupid heavy. The place where you get the steel will be able to tell you the weight difference. I ended up using 2x4x3/16 because they wouldn't sell me less than 20' of 2x6x3/16. Since you wouldn't be bashing rocks with the rockers, you could think about 1/8" stock.

2x2 is probably possible, but 2x4 or 2x6 is more common. 2x4 looks almost stock but 2x6 lets you pivot around trees and rocks if you're into that.

If you NEVER plan on rocks then 1/8" would be more than fine.

If you plan on rocks, I would go straight for 1/4". The weight difference is not worth the strength difference.

Find 3/16, not 1/4. 1/4" is stupid heavy. The place where you get the steel will be able to tell you the weight difference. I ended up using 2x4x3/16 because they wouldn't sell me less than 20' of 2x6x3/16. Since you wouldn't be bashing rocks with the rockers, you could think about 1/8" stock.

2x2 is probably possible, but 2x4 or 2x6 is more common. 2x4 looks almost stock but 2x6 lets you pivot around trees and rocks if you're into that.

the weight difference between 12 feet of 2x6 3/16 vs 1/4 is something like 35lbs... weight is a none issue.

so, of the gouges in my rockers are easy 1/8"... and i honestly dont wheel very hard.

Last edited by a moderator:
i'm building a similar setup(XJ) and I'm going to use 4x2 3/16 wall with 1/8 wall tubbing and 1/8 wall tubbing standoffs welded to fram stiffeners, but my XJ wont see any real hard use as it's a multipurpose vehicle.

Back