• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cut the top off

cbr900rr

NAXJA Forum User
Im in south west Texas and it gets pretty hot in the XJ, I usually take my dogs but it just gets too hot in the back for them. I looked at the factory pop out rear windows but they just dont provide enough air flow. With just the two front windows there is no way to create air flow. I was thinking of cutting in some type of sunroof in the rear to create some degree of airflow.

I dont want to chop the entire top because of the weakness of the unibody. Right now my XJ is about 75% offroad 25% daily driver. I dont wheel where a roll over is a good possibility but you never know.

Basically wanting to know if anyone has done something like this, if so did the airflow increase?

It's said that the hatch does actually give some structural support.

How about taking the rear glass out and putting 1x1 stainless metal mesh in it.
If exhaust could enter maybe do a side window opposite the exhaust side

almost everybody with an old Dodge Ramcharger installs a van type crank up vent in the rear of the roof because all the rear windows are fixed. The vent at speed, should create a suction promoting air flow on XJ's just the same.

The hatch itself doesnt lend much support. The rear glass however, is very strong.

[Play nice... -Mod]

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not saying that the rear hatch is all that strong, but it does offer some triangulation of the cabin, right?

The hatch itself doesnt lend much support. The rear glass however,

Truth, that glass is strong. Shortxjdoug busted his hatch and the back window bounced down the trail in one piece!

Last edited by a moderator:
id say the hatch is needed very much to keep the body straight, its just like when you take your doors off the whole body gets tweaked out of place.

No. 2 hinges and a striker does not a support make.

Support? No. But, it does provide a shear panel with a triangulated mount - it's not as good as a welded-in panel, but it is somewhat better than a large opening.

If you're really worried about the opening, bolt in an upward-pointing triangle of structural tube stock, joined at the top (to give as much access as possible) using at least 1" OD tube.

If you are doing a "truggy" and cutting the top off, then do a crossbar at the beltline (I assume that's where you're cutting it off?) and do the triangle brace in the same manner, it will just be half as high.

Bear in mind that pickup truck beds are supported at the rear end by the tailgate - which has two simple pivot hinges and two simple tongue locks. It seems to serve (I don't see a lot of bent beds in pickups, where the tailgate is left closed when it doesn't need to be open. I see more bent frames on the road than bent beds. If I were to put a tail "net" up instead of a tailgate, I'd put in a spreader bar at/near the top of the opening to replace the action of the tailgate on the flying edges of the cargo bed.)

Just mount one of these on the roof, all you will need is a sawzall and some RTV.

WHIRLYBIRD.jpg

Back