• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

open or closed???

I would just by a aluminum expansion bottle from macsradiator.com to replace the craptastic plastic one and be done with it. The closed system works pretty well in my opinion....My newer XJ with the open system has more trouble handling the Arizona heat than my older ones with the closed system.

Sorry didnt notice that you needed a new radiator in the first post. would still keep it closed and get the metal expansion bottle.

thanks for very fast reply.... I write from italy! For many reason I would like preserve the closed system... I think that the metallic bottle are very good suggestion....... (excuse me if my english are not so good).........
p.s.: I remember a summer of many years ago in arizona, new mexico, utah, colorado, wyoming and nebraska..........)

excuse me if my english are not so good.........[/QUOTE said:
I can personally guarantee you that your English is at least as comprehensible if not better than some others on this board. I can also warrant that it is better than my Italiano. Sì, è certamente.

Not to worry!

(excuse me if my english are not so good).........

Your "English" is better than many folks that try to post something on here!

I like the closed system, when it works, it works awesome. But I recently faced the same dilemma as you with my 90XJ. I decided to just go ahead and convert it. I ordered a 96 XJ radiator and used all of the hoses and heater control valve for the 96(I chose the 96 model since I have two of them and I'm very familiar with the coolant system on them)

For a recovery bottle I used a universal bottle from Orielly's Auto Parts, it works great, fits into the same space as the old reservoir(comes with a bracket that can be bent to to fit) and it only cost $20.

Here is a pic of how the bottle sits in the stock location of the reservoir.
0206121346.jpg

Ive not noticed anything different about how hot the engine runs, if anything it runs cooler and I went from a 3 core brass to a 2 core aluminum radiator.

To solve the poor expansion bottle design, I got the cap and bottle from a Volvo at the junk yard.
picture.php
picture.php

They hold up much better than the Crown or Dorman brand OE type.
picture.php
This bottle was only a month old when I had to add epoxy along a crack that formed. The yellow stuff you see in the pic.

Trailrider, nice intake. What brand is that? Sorry, not trying to hijack the thread

Spectre

I ran the Volvo cap on mine for a while and it works great, the problem is the bottles will only take so many swell/shrink cycles before they crack and your sitting on the side of the road. The metal reservoirs are a much better idea.

If you choose, you can run a radiator with a cap and still keep the closed system.

Back