• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Radiator problem!

89xj 2781

NAXJA Forum User
Mine decided to start spewing today and I need a new one. But I want a good one and I do t know anything about them. What's good and what's not? What makes the good one good? Any ideas will help. Thank you.

CMF brand is the one I used, all metal to plastic tanks,that leak 5 days after install. But i imagine any all metal radiator would work.

Yup sorry, its CSF, I dont think you want the 3 row, thats what I have and was told later that by the time the air reaches the back row the air is already to hot to be efficent. I dont know if its true? But mine too runs at 210 most of the time.

Last edited:
3 row CSF is what i had in both of my XJ's.. never had a problem! i put a "Spectra premium" in the ZJ last year, and it's already showing signs of early failure.

Wow it sounds like its hard to get good one and it run cool enough. My factory one that is crap now runs around 195 then gets up to around 210 in traffic then the efan kicks on. I will do some more research for a good one. Thanks for the input guys. It's appreciated.

Mine runs at 190 also it only heats up in traffic, climbing grades, or offroading. They are small radiators, that's the problem with Cherokees not alot of room. You can make them run cooler with different fans, but I dont think the radiator is going to make much difference, unless you can find a way to stick a bigger one in.

On an XJ 210 deg is not that hot. I think (don't quote me) the manual say's you should run a 195 stat and the aux fan is not supposed to kick on until something like 225-230. My 98 has always ran at about 195 then if I’m wheeling it will creep up to 210 but never any hotter than that. These are not like V8's that like to run in the 180 range. 210-220 I get nervous with the V8.

On an XJ 210 deg is not that hot. I think (don't quote me) the manual say's you should run a 195 stat and the aux fan is not supposed to kick on until something like 225-230. My 98 has always ran at about 195 then if I’m wheeling it will creep up to 210 but never any hotter than that. These are not like V8's that like to run in the 180 range. 210-220 I get nervous with the V8.

X2, other than your last sentence. Most modern engines (including V8's) are designed to run all day long at 210*. The fan doesn't come on until 220-225-ish. FWIW, modern LS1's (corvette's, etc) the cooling fan doesn't come on until over 240*. Many people try to *FIX* this problem by installing a lower temp thermostat, this does nothing but make the problem worse. By not allowing the coolant to stay IN the radiator as long as it should, most rigs actually end up running hotter with the lower temp. thermostat installed.

X2, other than your last sentence. Most modern engines (including V8's) are designed to run all day long at 210*. The fan doesn't come on until 220-225-ish. FWIW, modern LS1's (corvette's, etc) the cooling fan doesn't come on until over 240*. Many people try to *FIX* this problem by installing a lower temp thermostat, this does nothing but make the problem worse. By not allowing the coolant to stay IN the radiator as long as it should, most rigs actually end up running hotter with the lower temp. thermostat installed.

Oh yes I ment the older V8's. I have not owned a car with a new fuel injected V8. I just work on alot of hot rods and that is were my experance comes from. All good info though thanks Avanteone.

I really like the 3 row CSF. I am keeping my 89 engine closed and have had luck with that. I run a 180* stat but the rig generally runs at 195* 210* or so uphill on the freeway.

Back