• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I have heard Hack N Taps suck, but no one can explain why

FleXJ96

NAXJA Forum User
It seems like a good process for me, but a local shop says they end up replacing them with SYEs all the time. I am on a budget with the build, but don't want to do something cheaper that will be a waste if it breaks or what ever. Can anyone shed some light? Sitting at 4" with minor vibes but about to go 5.5"

If you are carefull when you install it and do things right, they are fine. People often don't cut the output off flush causing vibrations, or break a tap off in the shaft and have to replace it, etc..

The concept of the hack and tap is totally fine, though.

Hack n taps are perfectly fine for the average guy, If you're a hardcore wheeler I'd recommend a full SYE and the main reason some people don't like them is because the smain shaft will bend if you're supper rough on your vehicle and it takes a hit from rocks and what not.

i think hnt are almost as much as an SYE now a days.. nothing wrong w/them, but i paid $160 for my crown SYE shipped a few years ago. chinese, but worked well for me. i dont beat up on my rigs.

i have a hnt on mine, i beat the living crap out of it on 35's, and i have landed on my driveshaft quite a few times. so far, so good.

Dirtboud has HnT for around 100$ and free shipping for the time being.

The price of a hack n tap will vary mostly depending on the year of the t-case. 96+ will be quite a bit cheaper due to it not having to replace the seal housing that is required on pre-96. But I also have a hack n tap, 242, and I have had zero problems with it. I have busted a driveshaft and yoke and it's still just fine.

yes and no, a HnT is still the only option for a 242, but randys also sells a kit with a prehacked and tapped stock shaft that can be installed.

yes and no, a HnT is still the only option for a 242, but randys also sells a kit with a prehacked and tapped stock shaft that can be installed.

sounds to me like a lot more work. looks like ill be going HnT. im confident that i can do a clean install.

what is the best HnT deal around right now? dirtbound?

I got mine from iro, beware when/if you get the driveshaft they only replace the lower u joint, the double cardan at the top is factory and may or may not need replaced, ask me how I know lol

Back