• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fishing as a Jerk

GSequoia

Everyone says I'm a jerk.
NAXJA Member
So with the exception of a bit of unproductive time last year it's been well over twenty-five years since I've fished. When I did it then I was a kid so didn't do anything myself really.

I need help. Anybody know of any good guide books that could help me in the field, specifically for cleaning, baiting (shut up Grimm), etc?

I'm going on a Swamp Lake run this year and want to use that as my training. My ultimate goal is to try to catch fish when I'm backpacking with the wife in August so my kit out needs to be light weight. We're talking Sierras high country lake fishing here. Can anybody recommend decent get at a decent price?

Any tips or tricks? I wish I had time to schedule a fishing training tip between now and then but I'm just too damn busy.

I am aware I'll need a license, I'll get that handled.

Re: Fishing as an Idiot

There are lots of different types of bait. Lures, flies, dead, live. I fished up in Utah near Kings Peak and they liked a small spinner. Some fish don't like lures, so take a small hand line and some cheese to catch bait fish, and take a few different baits with You. I've also chased down local bugs to use on stubborn feeders. In a word, Patience. Let the fish play with its food a bit before trying to set the hook, and be quiet. Just a reminder, be careful being out where Bear can smell your fish and bait.

Geoff you should talk to SoCal Bill..

One thing you should do is practice. Get out as much as you can and learn your equipment, how to read The water etc etc.

.....they liked a small spinner....

A buddy and I fished several lakes high above Red's Meadows near Mammoth in the spring. We were using Mep's and Panther Martin spinners.

Couldn't toss a lure without catching a fish. We were throwing them back.

Here’s what I do:

Choose bait, tie knot.
Chuck into water.
Wait.
Light up.
Wait more.
After three hours, change bait to something else.
Excitement returns.
Catch nothing.
Repeat.

let me look through my gear. i used to have a couple rods that were like 5 piece collapsible and a couple michel 308 reels. perfect pack gear. i know i have the 308's on the shelf, the rods i need to search for since i no longer can use them.
bass pro shops will have everything you need at the best prices for new stuff.
as mentioned, different locations require different bait and set ups. cheese, eggs, flies are a good choice for streams. lures like the meps, roostertails, super dupers, and my favorite spoon painted like the coca cola logo (red with white swirl line down the middle) are good for lakes and ponds. dig up some local worms, or better yet try to find some crickets. those work well in most any area.
there are books with illustrations and how to's on knot tying and set ups. but you can find a bunch of that online. look through youtube.
when is the trip planned for? i am heading to torrance soon, so if i find those collapsible rods i will drop them off to you.

Re: Fishing as an Jerk

it's A jerk, not an jerk :D

i was going to say fly fishing, but that takes a while to learn. Karstic posted up that floating bubble, which looks interesting, especially for places where you can't get a lot of line out to cast a traditional fly rod.

Last edited:
I grew up using Dupont Spinners.

When all else fails throw a night crawler on the hook. And I don't use bobbers and such. I use egg sinkers just before my swivel and the tie my hook to a 1 1/2 foot leader. Never fails.

let me look through my gear. i used to have a couple rods that were like 5 piece collapsible and a couple michel 308 reels. perfect pack gear. i know i have the 308's on the shelf, the rods i need to search for since i no longer can use them.
bass pro shops will have everything you need at the best prices for new stuff.
as mentioned, different locations require different bait and set ups. cheese, eggs, flies are a good choice for streams. lures like the meps, roostertails, super dupers, and my favorite spoon painted like the coca cola logo (red with white swirl line down the middle) are good for lakes and ponds. dig up some local worms, or better yet try to find some crickets. those work well in most any area.
there are books with illustrations and how to's on knot tying and set ups. but you can find a bunch of that online. look through youtube.
when is the trip planned for? i am heading to torrance soon, so if i find those collapsible rods i will drop them off to you.

Yeah, let me know what you got and we can come to an arrangement I'm sure.

Back