• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rear brakes dilema

88_cherokee

NAXJA Forum User
so i bought the wheel cylinders and shoes for my 88 xj and they are incorrect. so i went and i only get 1 part number for the cylinders, and the other shoes are different also. i hace a dana 35 in the rear end and it says august 1988 but the door vin says july 1987 so i am somewhat confused with this situation. anybody ever have this problem?

Two different parts places I go to always asks me if I have 10 inch or 9 inch brakes, 10 inch seems to be the right ones for both my 87 and 88. The brakes on my 87 seem identical to the brakes on my 88. The 87 is a domestic and the 88 a export.

I looked at the Jeep parts cataloge I have and it gives only one number for the wheel cylinders 5200 08489. But gives two numbers for the shoes J 813 3818 domestic and 4762 542 export.

Looking in another catalog (Crown http://www.crownautomotive.net/ ) they give different numbers for the wheel cylinders left (52000849) and right (52000848). And only one number for the shoes 84-89 (10" drums 52001151K).

They are likely to have a part number cross reference in the computer at your parts supplier. I don't know exactly what to tell you about Jeep only have one wheel cylinder number and Crown having two. I was always under the impression the wheel cylinders were left and rights, like the Crown catalog indicates.

It won't been the first time I've found an error in a catalog, it can drive you nuts.

i figured it out. my 88 2wd uses 2 different wheel cylinders as my 88 4wd uses the same part numbers. its normal in many cars since the bleeder in some point straight out, and on other cars points towards the rear

Back