• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1988 cherokee rear body leak? Help?

Danwa

NAXJA Forum User
I still have a water leak that appears to be pouring down each side at the rear pillar support behind each rear fixed window. It drips down and pools either in the lower quarter panels or on the rear floor board near each tail light. I replaced the liftgate seal with no success in stopping leak. Could fixed window gaskets be leaking? Maybe gutter chanel. The leaks appear to originate high. I know this is a mouthful, but these leaks are driving me nuts.

leak is trouble

your leak is real trouble. if it is puddling on the rear floorboards, it is probably also wet under your rear seat... this is a dangerous place for rust. - really... on the corners is where the rear leaf springs attatch to the unibody.. rust there = weak point in the suspension. make sure that under the seat is bone dry!

Your roof is actually a piece of metal on top of the fender / side metal. under your gutter that you see. there is a seam. (I ripped one gutter off on a tree and can see it real good) it has spot welds holding it in place.. my guess is that you have a rust hole along that edge and it comes in there... bondo? maybe some silicone product on the top side?

your roof drains into the gap before your rear liftgate. then off to the side. that is what your gasket fixed. if it is coming in.. look for cracks or rust holes along that top edge, and get your carpet dry!!:eek:

You should pull the carpet entirely out of the jeep. I had the same problem with mine and all the pad and insulation was molded. I also had a good amount of rust starting on the floorpan. Gut the interior and sit inside while someone soaks the jeep and watch for leaks. mine was my side windows and liftgate seal.

My gutter channels are rusted really bad.so bad that the rust has started creeping up the roof:( .Also,i'm getting water in the rear corners.I'd say mine is from the rusted gutters on both sides.I guess it would probably be a good idea for me to rip up all the carpet from front to back.I know that i have a few spots that rust is starting to come thru in the floor board:mad: i hate rust.

I have a 95 XJ. I found my leak was from the very bottom rear of the fixed window. The rubber seal seems to have a weep hole on the bottom inside. I hit it with some rtv and no more leak for me.

Thanks all. Fobin, I think this may be the problem I am having. At the lower window seal edge, I am getting the leak. It could be that weep hole you are referring to. I'll check it out.

I had a 93 zj that was leaking around the hatch seal at the top. The water would get into the molding and follow it down the sides.

there is another area you might consider as well- the rear seatback mounting points are spot-welded to the same sheet metal as the inner fender walls- IF those have any play/movement, then the metal on the inner fenders is probably cracked, allowing mud, water etc to enter and accumulate on the floorboards, soaking the carpet and pad. The inner fender cracks weren't that obvious until I noticed a "mudpath" which originated below those mounting points, so I looked in the inner fender, and voila!!! Question on those fixed window weepholes- where exactly are those at? The lower fron/rear of the glass/rubber? Thanks for your help

Bret S Gray
1990 Laredo

Back