• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lifter Noise '96 4.0

FedExXJ

NAXJA Forum User
So I'm having some lifter noise, a slight knocking, at idle on my '96 XJ 4.0. I purchased some Lucas Oil engine additive to hopefully reduce the noise when I change the oil this week. Has anyone had similar problems? Will this help my problem or should I be bracing myself for the worst?

Piston slap? I beilieve its just the nature of the 4.0. Every one that I've heard, XJ TJ ZJ WJ etc, have all had a knock at idle. Mines had it since i got it 8 years and 100k ago and so has the '93.

Well, This is what I do when I have a jeep with a lifter tick. Do a hott oil change, fill with new oil leave old filter. Run for a few mins at various rpms, then change oil and filter. After that run the engine until it's warm, Then run it at a high idle. I start at 3k rpm. Leave it there for 30 seconds, then go to 4-4.5k and leave it there for 5 minutes. 3 at a minimum. Only bring it down if your engine temps start going up or something horrific sounding is happening. In that case you also have other issues. After you've held it at a high idle of at least 4k for at least 3 minutes bring it down in steps. Then finally let it idle for a few minutes and shut it off. After check your oil, if its dirty change it again. Then repeat the high idle. After this watch your oil color when its getting close to the next oil change run a can of seafoam in the engine for a few hundred miles. I've done this to many of Jeeps with good results every time. I have a 91 with 250k. I bought it off a friend. It had a stuck lifter for 2 years or more, I had it for an hr and the lifter was unstuck. I changed the oil a few times then the filter and am running 15w-40 Mobil Delvac. One time after it sat for a month it had a slight lifter tick for a few seconds. I ran it at a high idle for a few minutes and it never came back. Jeep went from getting 15 mpgs to 21 mpgs last road trip I took it on. Only thing I did was fix the lifter tick and put new tires of the same size on it.

Well, This is what I do when I have a jeep with a lifter tick. Do a hott oil change, fill with new oil leave old filter. Run for a few mins at various rpms, then change oil and filter. After that run the engine until it's warm, Then run it at a high idle. I start at 3k rpm. Leave it there for 30 seconds, then go to 4-4.5k and leave it there for 5 minutes. 3 at a minimum. Only bring it down if your engine temps start going up or something horrific sounding is happening. In that case you also have other issues. After you've held it at a high idle of at least 4k for at least 3 minutes bring it down in steps. Then finally let it idle for a few minutes and shut it off. After check your oil, if its dirty change it again. Then repeat the high idle. After this watch your oil color when its getting close to the next oil change run a can of seafoam in the engine for a few hundred miles. I've done this to many of Jeeps with good results every time. I have a 91 with 250k. I bought it off a friend. It had a stuck lifter for 2 years or more, I had it for an hr and the lifter was unstuck. I changed the oil a few times then the filter and am running 15w-40 Mobil Delvac. One time after it sat for a month it had a slight lifter tick for a few seconds. I ran it at a high idle for a few minutes and it never came back. Jeep went from getting 15 mpgs to 21 mpgs last road trip I took it on. Only thing I did was fix the lifter tick and put new tires of the same size on it.

Good idea.

I avoid additives as strong as seafoam (In the oil that is). I lost a dodge engine oil pump using stuff that strong. But I have had good luck with milder stuff like MMO, Marvel Mystery oil. I also had some luck with Lucas, but the real fix was 30-60 seconds running it in park at 3700 rpm!!!!!!

Seems to free up and unstick the lifters...and I too have seen better MPGs once I figured out the high rpm trick when ever the noise comes back.

It seems to come back at peak cold start ups in the winter, but gets more rare as time goes by. Mine has 278,000 miles, 1987.

I avoid additives as strong as seafoam (In the oil that is). I lost a dodge engine oil pump using stuff that strong. But I have had good luck with milder stuff like MMO, Marvel Mystery oil. I also had some luck with Lucas, but the real fix was 30-60 seconds running it in park at 3700 rpm!!!!!!

Seems to free up and unstick the lifters...and I too have seen better MPGs once I figured out the high rpm trick when ever the noise comes back.

It seems to come back at peak cold start ups in the winter, but gets more rare as time goes by. Mine has 278,000 miles, 1987.
I have also heard of people running a cup of diesel with the oil for a few minutes before the oil change. I havent done it, but I have heard about it. Also, I went and checked my odometer, the jeep is at 275k. If you take care of them, they will take care of you.

I thought about adding diesel to the oil but didn't have the balls to do it I took the head off cos it was driving me nuts checked the followers and even changed one for a new one put new gakets on and rebuilt. Guess what NO CHANGE!!!! fitted K&N gold filter and filled with mineral diesel engine oil will have to wait to see what happens if anything

I thought about adding diesel to the oil but didn't have the balls to do it I took the head off cos it was driving me nuts checked the followers and even changed one for a new one put new gakets on and rebuilt. Guess what NO CHANGE!!!! fitted K&N gold filter and filled with mineral diesel engine oil will have to wait to see what happens if anything

You could have tried an entire engine swap with JY, fender fender engine, and go no change too! LOL:roflmao:

These engines just love to tick, and make all sorts of odd sounds, LOL, Like a ghost in a haunted house dragging chains around.

Try Restore. Walmart for under $9.

That is one of the most unique and interesting products I have found!!!! I used it on my Son's Ford, 3.0 Vulcan engine, one pitted wall, cracked head hairline cracks, low compression in #1 cyl, 2 oil fouled plugs, and got another year, 15,000 miles out of before replacing the head. I also used bars leaks on the coolant. It blown a radiator hose (The hose had a bad spot), and dumped the coolant in 2 seconds at 75 MPH. The head was aluminum, but the block was iron and held up. Restore got the compression back up from 101 to about 120 psi on cyl #1. He drove it to Florida and back!!

Restore contains a copper-silver-lead alloy, colloidal diameter, soft metal, that plates out in hot spots, and actually does minor metal repair to engine parts, wear surfaces. I have used it in three old engines that we still drive, first used it in 2006 when I ran across it. I got to the results of it in the ford Vulcan 3.0 when we replaced the head finally. One valve guide & seal was finally too gone to save, leaking oil, fouling the plug too fast, and the head failed the mag flux tests for cracks.

Last edited:
you may have a bad cam lobe.... ive put new lifters in 4 litres and then they destroy the cam lobe.

What oil and additive did you use? You need lots of ZDDP in the oil, and on the lobe and lifter contact points when you install new ones. Most of today's new oils do not have enough ZDDP (Zinc) for the cams in our style engines (Flat Tappets), much less for the break in period of new parts!!!

you may have a bad cam lobe.... ive put new lifters in 4 litres and then they destroy the cam lobe.

That might be because putting new lifters on an old cam is generally not a good idea. Couple that with not breaking the cam and lifters in correctly without the proper oil and you have a recipe for failure.

Back