• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'96 XJ Exhaust

OH_FARMER

NAXJA Forum User
Hey Guys, I'm looking to replace the original factory exhaust on my '96 Cherokee Sport. Its hard to believe it lasted over 16yrs and 102K miles. I would to replace with something with a little tone, but not too loud. It appears I'll need to replace the CAT and everything. Any suggestions?
Also, is there any known issues or problems if I eliminate the cat completely?

You can not elliminate the cat if you have to go through emmissions. I replaced my cat with a magnaflow direct fit and then added a dynomax super turbo exhaust (muffler and tail pipe). Has some sound but not like my 00 with the flow master 40. Even picked up 2 mpg.

I'm about to throw a Gibson cat back on along with a stainless steel header, keeping the stock catalytic converter though. Not sure how emission laws are in your state but here in Illinois '96 and newer vehicles still have to go through emissions tests. Without that cat I'd fail.

Performance-curve.com has a universal high flow cat, and also a cat back system for out XJ's cheapest place I have seen.

I replaced mine with stainless tubes Walker high flow cat and flowmaster 50 (most XJs I've come across have stainless pipe OEM). It lets you know it's there but not terrible; slight drone with the windows down sometimes. DEFINITELY not a 40 roar, and not a Super turbo rumble. I love to put the foot down and let it purr :D

Back