• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need Fender Flares CHP Mad

chris420

NAXJA Forum User
Today I was driving home from a family get together and was pulled over by a CHP Comercial Patrol Unit. He pulled me over for towing in a third lane even though I was using it as a passing lane. I was breaking the law like everyone else on the freeway I think he just didnt like my jeep. He asked me why my jeep had tinted front windows and I told him that it was from Arizona and then he told me that the tires stick out of the fenders to much and told me not to trim the front license plate although very visable and that it was against the law to trim a license plate. He did not give a citation for the fenders,license plate and tinted windows but did note it on the ticket as a verbal. I did get a lane violation for towing though. Anyway I need to get the tires covered soon.

What is the best fender flare for the money ? I need 5 - 6" of coverage on the front and 3-4" on the rear. I did a warn hub conversion and the front axle is a little wider now.

Thanks.

why would you trim a lic plate? that is absolutely a violation i'm surprised you didn't get popped for that one.

most folks go bushwackers but personally I hate the look of em. running mud flaps in the back will help get the CHP off your butt for the most part unless you're doing something else wrong.

Run stockers, TJ rears or build tube flares, expensive flares are a waste.
I seem to remember a company making extra wide TJ flares, might be worth a look.

Bushwacker flat flares look cool but they won't hold up to any contact. The Napier flares are pretty nice but I don't think they are much wider then stock. Really, I wouldn't worry about it if he didn't write you up about it. Unless you plan on towing in the left lane any more. You should really get a new front liscense plate. They will use it as an excuse just to pull you over and mess with you.

Running in the 1st or 2nd lane (lanes are counted from fast left to slow right) of a 3 or 4 lane roadway with a trailer is absolutely a violation that people either disregard, don't care, or don't know. I've even seen some in Fastrac and carpool lanes. It is for safety and that alone. If something happens others don't need to avoid a gernading rolling flipping vehicle in front of them. You need to be to the closest lane to the emergency lane for that reason EMERGENCY. In Cali you are only allowed to tow in the right 2 lanes if it's a 4 lane and on a 2 or 3 lane in the right and only use the left lane or middle to pass. I'm not trying to be a _ick but too many people do it and it's unsafe. Also check your tie downs after a few miles!!! Just yesterday I was on the 210 in my right lane towing and a Suburban with a beautifully restored 48 Woody w/ bitten wooden surf boards on custom made wood rack was in the 2nd lane on a 4 lane doing 70 plus his straps had loosened from the swaying he passed whom he wanted and was changing back to lane 3 (2nd from right) and I thought the Woody was going to be a pile of match sticks. It took him over 1/2 a mile and both right lanes to regain control of the his vehicle. Everyone on the frwy darted to the shoulders luckily it was an early Sat morn and he was heading east away from the traffic flow. When I went by him on the shoulder he was white as a ghost. That car was easily worth $50K it was in awesome condition although I think the right fender hit the wheel fender of the trailer it was darting so hard back and forth!!

Running in the 1st or 2nd lane (lanes are counted from fast left to slow right) of a 3 or 4 lane roadway with a trailer is absolutely a violation that people either disregard, don't care, or don't know. I've even seen some in Fastrac and carpool lanes. It is for safety and that alone. If something happens others don't need to avoid a gernading rolling flipping vehicle in front of them. You need to be to the closest lane to the emergency lane for that reason EMERGENCY. In Cali you are only allowed to tow in the right 2 lanes if it's a 4 lane and on a 2 or 3 lane in the right and only use the left lane or middle to pass. I'm not trying to be a _ick but too many people do it and it's unsafe. Also check your tie downs after a few miles!!! Just yesterday I was on the 210 in my right lane towing and a Suburban with a beautifully restored 48 Woody w/ bitten wooden surf boards on custom made wood rack was in the 2nd lane on a 4 lane doing 70 plus his straps had loosened from the swaying he passed whom he wanted and was changing back to lane 3 (2nd from right) and I thought the Woody was going to be a pile of match sticks. It took him over 1/2 a mile and both right lanes to regain control of the his vehicle. Everyone on the frwy darted to the shoulders luckily it was an early Sat morn and he was heading east away from the traffic flow. When I went by him on the shoulder he was white as a ghost. That car was easily worth $50K it was in awesome condition although I think the right fender hit the wheel fender of the trailer it was darting so hard back and forth!!

Don't believe the hype. It's a money grab and that's it. There is no reason for it what so ever.

If Calie has a tire cover rule, you should get flares just to keep them off your butt. The flat bushwackers are kind of pricy, but probably have the coverage you need(Personally I hate how they look, but that's just me). Don't worry about contact damage, they're removable. When you go crawling, or in tight forest trails, just take them off.

As asked above,.. why did you trim the plate?

Sounds like you're lucky he didn't write you up for the whole mess. He must have been in a good mood.

I trimmed very little off the bottom of the plate because I hit it on a rock and the bottom was cracked. It would be no different then having a license plate cover.

I run the BW flats and like how they look... They also cover the P285/75R16s (32.8"x11.2") that I run and there are 2" spacers on the axle to get the tires to clear the LAs. Makes the width 4" wider than stock.

California does have a cover law and the Cop was being nice. He could have issued a "fixit ticket" which (used to anyway) only gives you a couple of weeks to resolve.

I was tagged, in '73, for my Triumph being too low to the ground. It was in full road race trim and was, I'll admit it, pretty close to the ground. The Cops were concerned that the frame appeared to be closer to the ground than the bottom of the rims...

I'm going through this now, My plans are to run stock front flairs in back and MJ fronts in the front(MJ is said to have a slightly larger wheel opening than an XJ) but TJ stock flairs look decent as well I suppose.

Don't believe the hype. It's a money grab and that's it. There is no reason for it what so ever.
Other states allow the truckers in any lane they want NY. Texas, Philly ect... California's law is the right 2 lanes unless aggressing or eggressing from a transition to another roadway, freeway. I should know I've had a commercial vehicle license since I was 18 years old. When I renew my test I have to read the manual every time because they continue to restrict Comm. drivers more and more. However these lane laws have been in existence since I got my comm. license in 1979. So no it's not hype or money grab. There are just too many people ignoring the laws and causing havoc on long weekends pulling overloaded toy boxes or trailers, trailers with boats, wave runners ect... in the fast lane with unstoppable, oversized tire, tow vehicles, down the road at 75+ mph. Don't get me wrong I tow and I tow fast. My Diesel pusher motorhome is rated to pull 10,000 lbs and I don't even feel it when I have 10k on it. My 7.3 Powerstroke E350 4x4 van is rated at 18000 gvwr I tow at 65-70 at times but out in the boonies. This link might help explain it. http://www.broslikethissite.com/

Last edited:
That's weird because have had CHP tell me that I needed mud flaps and that covering the back side of the tire was more important than covering the top of the tire. I'd rig up some mud flaps that you can remove for wheeling

Other states allow the truckers in any lane they want NY. Texas, Philly ect... California's law is the right 2 lanes unless aggressing or eggressing from a transition to another roadway, freeway. I should know I've had a commercial vehicle license since I was 18 years old. When I renew my test I have to read the manual every time because they continue to restrict Comm. drivers more and more. However these lane laws have been in existence since I got my comm. license in 1979. So no it's not hype or money grab. There are just too many people ignoring the laws and causing havoc on long weekends pulling overloaded toy boxes or trailers, trailers with boats, wave runners ect... in the fast lane with unstoppable, oversized tire, tow vehicles, down the road at 75+ mph. Don't get me wrong I tow and I tow fast. My Diesel pusher motorhome is rated to pull 10,000 lbs and I don't even feel it when I have 10k on it. My 7.3 Powerstroke E350 4x4 van is rated at 18000 gvwr I tow at 65-70 at times but out in the boonies. This link might help explain it. http://www.broslikethissite.com/
While I agree with you, DrMoab is a truck driver as well...but he's from Utah, so we don't listen. :D

I always get just a bit peeved when I see guys hauling big trailers through traffic at 70+...most of them are relying on their engine to tell them when the load is too big, figuring if I can pull it easily, I can stop and steer it just as easily.

I'm a trucker too. 2,000,000 plus miles and I've been a training manager and safety manager and a fleet manager... You get the point.

I have to go with the line of thought that there wouldn't be a law if there wasn't a need. Whether it's a big rig climbing a hill in the far left lane at 20 mph below the speed limit or a Subaru pulling a Uhaul at 30 mph below the limit in the left lane they have no business there and are a safety hazzard.

If people used good common sense when driving instead of relying on a sense of entitlement we wouldn't need these laws.

I drive like I have some sense and obey the law. I have been pulled over once in the past 20 years. That's driving trucks, jacked up Jeeps, slammed hot rodded Chevy's you name it.

Not busting your balls man but seriously, it's not the cops fault you were in the wrong lane and you're lucky he didn't have a ticket writing party in your honor. Get some flares, fix that front plate and stay out of that lane with a trailer.

Where at in Cali are you? I have a set for an 89 and a set for a 2000, the 2000 is dark blue and 89's are custom faded grey :)... I'm in Bakersfield if your near by, donations are welcome but if you come get them they are yours...

How do ya'll do the o flare thing? My 31's stick out and the sides of my rig STAY coated in mud. Of course, I live off a dirt road, but still...

I'm a trucker too. 2,000,000 plus miles and I've been a training manager and safety manager and a fleet manager... You get the point.

I have to go with the line of thought that there wouldn't be a law if there wasn't a need. Whether it's a big rig climbing a hill in the far left lane at 20 mph below the speed limit or a Subaru pulling a Uhaul at 30 mph below the limit in the left lane they have no business there and are a safety hazzard.
Most states have laws requiring slow vehichles to move out of the way if they are impeding traffic.

If I am doing 70 in a 70 mph zone and I am not holding anyone up why should I be restricted to the slow lanes? I think its far more dangerous to have me slowing down or constantly moving over one lane to let the retards get on the freeway who don't know how to merge at fwy speeds. If I could travel with the flow of traffic and I'm not riding anyone's ass to do it, where is the harm?

Of course I realize in California you also have the retarded speed limit of 55 for anyone pulling a trailer. A law btw that a canada judge has just ruled to be unsafe. If anyone pulling a trailer at the posted speed limit is actually obeying the law they are pretty much impeding traffic no matter what lane they are in.

Back