• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Play in Steering Wheel

Cherokeekid88

NAXJA Forum User
Back in February, I installed my IRO long arm kit and then got it aligned the next day....well in the last 2 weeks, I have noticed that my steering seems to be a little sloppy. I notice a bit of play in my steering wheel as well as the steering not being straight while driving straight, not my steering wheel has always been a bit off but it seems a little more worse now....Stock steering box with stock (but fairly new steering parts - New draglink, tie rod from IRO, TRE's)
I am just wondering if my steering box is going out or if I just need to get it aligned again.....it tracks pretty straight going down the road......

Check for cracks in the frame around the steering box. With bigger tires comes a weakened frame. I had cracks in my frame that started off small and I didn't worry about it too much and didn't have the money to pay some one to properly weld it up and then get a brace to help strengthen it. I drove like that for almost 2 years (checking on it from time to time to make sure it wasn't getting much worse) and then finally had it welded together and put a C-ROK brace on it. My steering got noticeably tighter! I also had no idea but the frame had a complete crack going from both sides of the frame on the bottom side underneath where the sway bar mounts to the frame. I couldn't even see it until I took the sway bar off to replace the bushing and that when I realized it had gotten serious and I needed to do something.

Anyways give that a check and if that doesn't do it you can always tighten up the steering box some and see if that helps.

Lots of times when the steering box is worn, you can see the sector shaft move up and down as the steering wheel is being turned an eighth turn left and right.
Next choice would be a worn out trac bar. Either the bottom or the top joint or both.

Check for cracks in the frame around the steering box. With bigger tires comes a weakened frame. I had cracks in my frame that started off small and I didn't worry about it too much and didn't have the money to pay some one to properly weld it up and then get a brace to help strengthen it. I drove like that for almost 2 years (checking on it from time to time to make sure it wasn't getting much worse) and then finally had it welded together and put a C-ROK brace on it. My steering got noticeably tighter! I also had no idea but the frame had a complete crack going from both sides of the frame on the bottom side underneath where the sway bar mounts to the frame. I couldn't even see it until I took the sway bar off to replace the bushing and that when I realized it had gotten serious and I needed to do something.

Anyways give that a check and if that doesn't do it you can always tighten up the steering box some and see if that helps.

I haven't noticed any cracks near the steering box, but I do have a set of steering box braces that still need to ber installed, and am gonna have to fab some more for them because my bumper wont fit over them if I install them and can't stack the brace on top of the bumper unless i stack washers which i wouldn't want to do.

Might have to figure something out....All my steering componets are fairly new...trac bar is in good shape, as it is a double shear.

Tighten steering box it's 3 bolts on the driver side front( don't confuse it with the three bolts on the extreme front those are the bumper bolts) ... If they seem tight undo them and make sure the triangle spacer between the steering box and the frame is tightened... you have to line that up to the corresponding bolts on the frame and it makes a world of difference. If the bolts are "tight" and the washers can move its to loose find bigger or double washers

When I built my bumper I tied in the steering box bolts to tighten my steering
18b619de-30fd-9859.jpg
that's the mounting plate I built
18b619de-316a-1c27.jpg
I found the cad drawing on twisted halo .com it's pretty Damn accurate

I actually have a pair of steering tie in brackets, but Only way I could install them is to either cut them and weld them to my bumper I have now, or install them on top of the bumper tie ins and then place washers in between the frame and steering tie ins......don't really want to go that route.....

You didn't say if you have upgraded the steering from stock. What type of steering do you have. I rarely find slop in the steering that is caused by the steering gear.

Back