• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Auto locker question

OnorOffroad

NAXJA Forum User
I recently installed a D30 with an Aussie locker. Everything seems to work correctly but..

Disclaimer: The following question is noobish and probably silly but I'd feel much better when it's answered.

When I make sharp turns ie: into a parking spot, I can feel the wheels grinding on the road (seems like locker is locking) and I can also hear clunking noise which seems like it's coming from both sides of the front axle. Is this normal?

Clicking is normal...tires grinding is not. My Aussie is very sensitive to any gas pedal input when turning sharply, so a minimum of gas pedal is mandatory when making sharp turns. I would check that because you will get increased tire wear and it could be unsafe in the rain.

Shouldn't it be invisible in 2WD? I can imagine some clicking / ratcheting noise, but the locker shouldn't work in 2WD, should it? From my understanding they lock when power is applied, meaning it shouldn't ever lock up in 2WD.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, I'm researching auto lockers up front. :)

I don't know about the front, as I have a 2 wheel drive XJ. I got mine as I travel down a very soft beach during hunting season. The locker + A/T tires radically improved my off-road capabilities.....in fact, people look at me like I am crazy when they find out I took a 2-wheel drive down that particular beach.

That is correct. 2WD=No Torque to the locker.

Lunchbox lockers lock up when torque is applied. When there is no torque, they should ratchet which allows the locker to act as a ""Differential"" (imagine me making quote signs in the air). Lunchbox lockers don't unlock smoothly as there are no clutches, just opposing cogs with 1/16" deep teeth on both sides, if you turn a real tight turn, the front end will make noise, and may even try and drag a tire.

You should hear what happens on an icy road when you are coming to a stop and one wheel (the one without traction) comes to a stop 1st. It sounds like the entire front end just bit the dust ;)

As a side note, this entire theory of operation applies to installing the locker in the back. Tight corners become something you coast though because otherwise the locker locks up and you drag the outer tire though the corner.
They will also let loose a Bang! for no apparent reason.

You get what you pay for I guess ;)

the explanation of whats going on is kind of wierd. You should only hear the ratcheting of the locker..."click click click" in 2wd. If you are hearing anything other than that something is up.... are your tires at the same air pressure, are they the same height? Was the locker installed correctly with the correct gap required by aussie?
I have had a few quirks like that after shifting out of 4wd on the pavement and the locker not disengaging right away & it scared the crap out of me.

mine does that. have you checked your toe after swapping in the axle? my toe was so far off yesterday that it was nearly impossible to make sharp turns, it was dragging one tire (and on 35's, that aint easy).

You might want to PM XJtrailrider as he had an Aussie in his D30 and finally took it out. If I recall correctly it was for this very reason...

I have a Spartan in my Dana 30 in my yj with one piece axle shafts from a cherokee and a heavier gear oil. I forget it's there, I never hear or feel ratcheting, popping, or clicking. I've never had a Aussie but everything thing I read, I decided on the Spartan because of of this.

I was going to go lunchbox but I have been advised against it too often and think the Eaton E-locker is going to be my ticket. It acts open until it gets 12 volts then locked - cool!

""Differential"" (imagine me making quote signs in the air)

Hehehe that made me crack up Dr. Evil

...You should hear what happens on an icy road when you are coming to a stop and one wheel (the one without traction) comes to a stop 1st. It sounds like the entire front end just bit the dust ;)

Holy CRAP! :doh: I had not even thought of this situation and that is where I live in the winter - Ack! OK nuff said for my application thx for the info!

I was going to go lunchbox but I have been advised against it too often and think the Eaton E-locker is going to be my ticket. It acts open until it gets 12 volts then locked - cool!

Yes, you apply 12v, the lock pins sheer, and its open again if it doesnt take out your ring gear.

Look for something better..

i'd get something else. my eaton has pretty much died. it only works when it feels like it. all electrical connections are fine, it has voltage and continuity. it clunks when it trys to work sometimes, but that's about it.
to top it off, eaton has horribe customer service. they're rude, and act like nothing is their problem so quit asking questions. they also dont even carry every part of the locker, so good luck if you break something. and if you do, then you have to spend hundreds on either the stator kit or the locker kit, even if you only need a stupid pin or clip. if you need something from both kits, you're probably better off getting a new locker.
i'd expect a lot more from a $800-900 locker. that is why i am switching to a grizzly.

The only time an Aussie, Spartan or other lunch-able lockers are "invisible" on the street is if your have an older D30 with a CAD.

I have a Spartan in my YJ with a CAD and it is a great combo.

My XJ has a one piece so no lunch box for that one. I will probably go with a Detroit Truetrac for it.

The only time an Aussie, Spartan or other lunch-able lockers are "invisible" on the street is if your have an older D30 with a CAD.

or you know, if you're in 2 wheel drive..

My XJ has a one piece so no lunch box for that one. I will probably go with a Detroit Truetrac for it.

I had a lock-right that was "invisible". It lasted over 10 years on 33's in my D30. Now I have a detroit that behaves pretty good. Can only tell it's there in tight turns.

Shouldn't it be invisible in 2WD?

The only time lunch-able lockers are "invisible" on the street is if your have an older D30 with a CAD...

or you know, if you're in 2 wheel drive..

Theoretically, yes. If there's no torque applied, the halves open up and the shafts freewheel. Invisible.

But mine does the same thing. I don't know if the springs are too stiff or if they're bound up, or if there's enough drag on the pinion (bearing, driveshaft, t-case) to cause it to engage... But when I engage my CAD manually, I can feel that the axle is LOCKED.

Robert

Theoretically, yes. If there's no torque applied, the halves open up and the shafts freewheel. Invisible.

But mine does the same thing. I don't know if the springs are too stiff or if they're bound up, or if there's enough drag on the pinion (bearing, driveshaft, t-case) to cause it to engage... But when I engage my CAD manually, I can feel that the axle is LOCKED.

Robert

Then you should figure out what is wrong with your jeep, instead of spreading bad information around on the internet. =)

x2.

I had a lockrite in my front D30 and front D44.

Only time I ever even heard the ratcheting was in the parking lot (with the hubs locked on the 44).

Back