• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

A904 extension housing gasket?

sheffeyva

NAXJA Forum User
For some reason this part is impossible to find. There was definitely a gasket there when I took it off! I notice a lot of other transmissions just use RTV when they re-install the housing so my question is can I do the same thing? I had to open it up to replace the rear output seal that was leaking.

In case my post was to vague or you don't know what the a904 is, A904 is a 3-speed automatic transmission found on older Jeeps and I'm referring to the rear "tailshaft" output housing where the transfer case bolts to. I'm talking about the piece that removes from the transmission to adapt to different configurations.

I make a lot of gaskets, most times it is easier and quicker than trying to find one and takes less time to make, than the drive to pick it up. I keep some gasket material of varying thicknesses in the garage. A pencil, an Xacto knife and something hard, but not too hard to cut on. A real *lite* coat of RTV on both sides of the gasket. It is the tiny gaskets with a lot of curves, holes and angels that will give you fits.
I've even got a set of (el cheepo) gasket hole punches.

Try making your own transmission valve body gasket sometime :).

Some say go with the RTV, Dodge and Chevy advise against it. My guess is they are afraid the excess will squirt into the tranny and may cause issues if the excess falls off and gets into the valve body some way.

I don't really know if the adapter for the 904 is dry or wet. Some types have a rear tranny seal, some don't. If it is a dry type, RTV is your answer. Did tranny fluid come out of the adapter when you separated the tranny from the transfer case? If I'm misunderstanding and it is the tailpiece for a two wheel drive tranny it is definitely wet, a gasket and super lite coat of RTV would likely be the safest and surest way to do it.

Last edited:
Back