• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D44 Stub shaft/spindle binding

Rob D

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
I have a hp44 front axle that I narrowed to accept Rubicon d44 inners. I've got the GM small bearing spindles and GM stub shafts. Here is the problem. The short side goes together and spins easily. I put the long side together and it will bind up for about 1/4 of the axle rotation. So it moves freely for 3/4 of the rotation of the axle. I can still force it thru the bind by forcing the short side to not turn and rotationg the pinion yoke by hand. It ain't easy, but I can get thru it by hand at the yoke, but not at the stub shaft end. If I loosen the 6 spindle nuts it will rotate freely thru the complete axle rotation. All the parts (i.e. stub shafts, spindles, bearings etc.) are new, so they "should" be good. I would think that if I had a bent stub shaft or the inner "C" was not re-installed correctly it would bind all the time instead of just part of the rotation. Any ideas as to what may causing this? Any advise will be appreciated.

How tight is the u-joint on the problem side. If its extra tight it will bind as it goes around if the axle isnt in the straight ahead position.

Thanks for the suggestion. I have been thinking about just making sure the u-joint is properly seated and moving freely. So I guess I better go from "thinking about it" to "doing it".

Back