• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rough idle/check engine light question.

Jeepspeed87

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys I just picked up a 95 Cherokee sport with the 4.0 and all of a sudden when I go to start it up it doesn't want to fire and have to crank it over multiple times til it gets lucky and fires up. Also once it fires the idle is really rough (between 400-500) then the check engine light comes on and the idle jumps up to about 1100 but it's smooth. If I start it and give it gas before the check light comes on it runs really rough and spits and sputters like no other. Or if the light come on and say I take off and it revs to 4,000 and starts cutting out and won't shift unless I let off the gas. I just put in a new cap, rotor, plugs, wires, coil and ran sea foam through it. The problem just came up wednesday night when I was leaving my shop to go home. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

The strategy when you see a check engine light is always the same. Pull the code(s). Gotta use the technology provided to you by your Jeep.

Post the exact code here. OBD isn't perfect but it's awfully darn good at pointing you in the right direction.

Getting the codes on a 95 (OBDI) is easy. Here's how to do it.
----------------------------------------------------------------
OBD1 Models: 1991-1995
1) Start engine (if possible). Move transmission shift lever
through all positions, ending in Park. Turn A/C switch on and then off
(if equipped).
2) Turn engine off. Without starting engine again, turn
ignition on, off, on, off and on within 5 seconds. Record 2-digit
fault codes as displayed by flashing MIL.
3) For example, fault code 23 is displayed as flash, flash,
4-second pause, flash, flash, flash. After a slightly longer pause,
other codes stored are displayed in numerical order. When MIL begins
to flash fault codes, it cannot be stopped. Start over if count is
lost. Code 55 indicates end of fault code display.

Ok just ran through the diagnostic and came up with 2. First one is

33 Air conditioning clutch relay circuit open or shorted (may be in the wide-open-throttle cutoff circuit or normal on early 80's models if you don't have air conditioning)

And second is
54 No sync pickup signal during engine rotation (turbo only)
OR
54 Internal logic module fault ('84 turbo only) - or camshaft sensor/distributor timing

So since mine is not turbo it's gonna be the camshaft sensor and then for code 33 idk what I'm going to do because the ax compressor has been removed and my fans are just hard wired to a couple toggle switches but hopefully replacing cam shaft sensor does the trick. Thank you for your help

Back