• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Control arm question

Devilfrog

NAXJA Forum User
Sooo ... I managed to find a set of TJ 3.5" lift coils, threw them in the XJ, measured and got 2.5" again ....

So I pulled them, added 1.75 spacers and the springs and somehow I now measure 23" at the flare ... Or 5.5" lift.
My LCA'S are sized for 3-4.5" lift AMD my uppers are stock. I have a track bar bracket for a 3-4.5" lift as well.
What issues should I expect now with these parts? I can make the rear match not and issue ... Just concerned I may have issues with the front now. I ain't going back that's for sure ... Not after the wrestling match with the passenger side spring install (twice)

re springs typically run tall i thought. measuring from the flares is kind of ghetto, i'd look for the dimensions to measure from the axle tube to the frame.

and make sure you drive it some before you measure, things need to settle.

They are 6 yrs used coils so not a whole lot of settling is gonna happen. I obviously measured wrong the first time.
I originally planned to do a 6" lift anyway, so not the end of the world.
I was more wondering if I need to start changing parts again.

they still need to settle. my springs are also used and the height changed nearly an inch after i drove it over a few bumps.

the main thing you need to worry about is caster and pinion angle. also the track bar will either need to be changed or adjusted. and your steering wheel alignment will be off.

Well if it settles an inch I'm all good then, the Trac bar bracket and such are already set for 4.5"
thanks for the replies.

your running short arms obviously?

my RE arms that came with their 4.5" kit are very close to stock... just beefy. the lower is stock eye to eye, while the upper is 0.5" longer. id imagine this is to combat castor. they work... hell, even stock arms would "work". but at this point, you really want drop brackets and adjustable arms (upper at least) or long arms.

as for the track bar, simply adjust it and see if there is enough thread engagement to safely run it down the road, its not rocket science. and after it is adjusted, be sure to check the relation of your steering angles.

on the 5.5" of lift part... make sure the coil is properly seated in the axle side mount. and did you remove the stock coil isolator?

yep, the coil is rotated and seated properly, the stock isolator was left in and has been in from day one new ... this a problem? I was just surprised it came up so much, and I musta measured wrong with just the spring in and no spacers, I'm fine at 5.5" as when I originally decided to lift the XJ I wanted to hit 6" or so .... I just wanted to make sure I would be OK with what I have for components at this point. I googled hard core last night and got a few more bits of info about what I need.
I'm only using the RE 3.5" coils, and a 1.75" spacer, I have Fat Bob's fixed length LCA's, and a Fat Bob's Trac bar bracket. I think I'll live with what I have as eventually down the road I'm figuring to do a long arm up grade ... when money allows (or I can find a used kit).
Just went and measured my LCA's and it looks like they were actually a little long for my planned 3.5" front lift height ... but ironicly they are the right length for 5-6" lift ... they measured ~16 3/8" eye center to eye center. My uppers need to be 1/4" - 3/8" longer though, and my Trac bar seems to be fine where it's relocated at this point ... but there is a used RE one down island from the same guy I got the springs off so I think I'll grab that as well.

Back