• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2 New Jeeps! Need advice on swapping motor/trans

whompinxj

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, first off. I'm back! Just picked up a Cherokee after being without one for almost 3 years:cheers:

But it's ugly. It's a 95. The floors are gone, the interior's ratty and I just got some custom body work done for free by a couple trees on a tight trail. It does run great and has about 110000 miles on it.

I just found a much nicer one on CL with a blown motor for $800. It's a 98 with a small lift, decent 31 BFG's and kinda cool bumpers front and back. But best of all it's clean with practically zero rust. I'm thinking about swapping the motor and trans from my beater (4.0, ax15, np231) into the 98(4.0, aw4, np231)

Is it worth it? Is it possible? I searched on here and found a couple guys ran into some trouble with computers and reverse lights when swapping in a manual. Has anyone done this swap and did you have any problems? I read about a write up from Char-Broil for the trans swap but I can't seem to find it.

Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction. Thanks in advance

Note from DJ
I found this using this for search Char-Broil trans swap “site naxja.org” is this what you looking for?
Jeep Cherokee AW-4 to AX-15 Swap
By NAXJA: Char-Broil
http://www.wetpaintfilms.com/jons/NAXJA/AW-AXconversion.pdf
This is a 13.37 MB PDF file do you have room for it?

Holy crap. This looks like, to me, the holy grail of tranny swap parts list.

Just qurious from those of you that now the two trannys if this is a completly correct list or what is missing.

Awesome! Now that cover the trans. For the motor, should I re use all the sensors from the 98 motor or keep the ones from the 95?

Back