• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Long arm kit question

Jeepnut1

NAXJA Forum User
Hello all, I'm new here and to XJ's. My wife and I just sold our well built CJ in the interest of having a more comforable rig for the family to wheel with. We picked up a 2000 Cherokee from a friend with alot of nice parts on it. He put Deaver springs and remote res Bilstiens in the back and front. The only thing he never got around to was the longarms up front. I have a set of brand new 6.5" Deaver coils in the box ready to go. I've looked at a bunch of arm kits on the web, but not knowing anything about XJ's I'm kind of stuck. I thought about just making them, but in the interest of time away from the kids and the happiness of the wife, I'm just going to buy a set and throw them on.

So my question is, who makes the best kit?

I know I'm going to get alot of opinions here because everyone has a brand or type they like. I need to defer to experts here cause I'm clearly not one.

Thanks for the help, Scott

There is no best, really. I'm running Rock Krawler's 3 link and am very happy with it. What will the Jeep be used for? Terrain, DD, tire size/height, etc.

Rockkrawler is good
Clayton is very good
other than that they're all decent pretty much but the best thing you can do is build your own if it's possible.

Garden Grove? Welcome, neighbor. If you need any help, post up in the SoCal Chapter forum.

It will be an all around rig for us, DD and trail rig I wanted something we could drive to the trails, play and drive it home. I really liked our CJ but the kiddos weren't happy in the back seat and it was strickly a crawler, it had a plate but we still had to trailer it because of gearing.
We do Rubicon, the original hammers trails( not the buggy ones), Truckhaven, Barrett lake, as well as trail runs in Arizona Utah, Colorado, and Oregon.

It's sitting on 35s, D44 rear with an elocker, stock front with an ARB. Deaver rear springs with Bilstein 9100's(i think) mounted to the interior cage. Front short armed with 9100's

Rockkrawler is good
Clayton is very good
other than that they're all decent pretty much but the best thing you can do is build your own if it's possible.
This. With all the other quality parts you listed, it only makes sense to buy a quality 3 link or build yourself.

Here we go again, every time iro is mentioned, out come the haters. 2 years, most of the better trails in NorCal, including the rubicon, and the wife's wj iro kit is still flawless. No loose or bent adjuster thing, bushings still in great shape, flexes very well. Unless you are the 1 guy who has posted the pic of the 1 bent caster adjuster, give it a rest already. 99% of the negative comments in almost every thread in which they are mentioned are from people with 0 first hand experience.

no first hand experience here...
but there are other products out there that are proven designs, made by proven manufacturers (i dont mean this to bash IRO rep, im simply stating that these guys arent industry leading). im all for doing something different, but not on something id run 80mph down the highway.

i agree with deftwill, deffinantly "not the best."

No experience? Don't mean to bash but I will? Not saying I'd run it in the koh, but I wouldn't run a Dana 30 there either. As I've said every time it's come up, I've seen it work for years. 1 failure that has been documented? I've seen more failed track bars and control arms from the industry leaders. Any part can fail. Abuse a part long enough with 0 maintenance and it will fail. Never said it was the best, but neither is any radius arm set up.

You're right. The OP has a jeep with $1k in springs and more than that in shocks, but yeah, he should put on the cheapest radius arm setup available. Sounds legit.

As you'll note from my first post in this thread, I was suggesting 3 link from the start.

I have the same springs and shocks you have here... I went with rock krawler 4 link and it's great. If I had to do it again (and couldn't make my own) I'd go with Clayton 3 link. My buddy runs its and it's a real nice setup. I'm running larger than stock axles, so the kits aren't as a perfect fit, but I honestly have no complaints. Haven't logged enough miles to see if the heavy front axle and binding 4 link will waste rubber parts faster than I'd like.

And I agree with the 3 link being the best option. Point is eminent failure is not the case with the iro kit. My xj runs a similar 1.5 radius arm using a left over lower adjustable control in a rubicon express radius arm. 1/2" bolts and no caster adjuster thing. As good as a true 3 link? No. Better than standard radius arms? In my first hand experience yes. It flexes better than radius arms.

BDS... They have a no-bull warranty. You break it, they replace it.

I have the 4.5 on 32's and lockers. It's a daily driver and I have done everything at Truckhaven and Big Bear that my buddy's TJ with 6" and 35's has done.

Thanks for all the input. I'm going to take a serious look at the Clayton three link kit,it looks like the best option for what we intend to do with the rig.If I had the time I would definitely just build it myself but anymore I'd rather spend the time with the kiddos. The Clayton three link seems the way to go.

Last edited:
Back