• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stripped caliper bolt

OnorOffroad

NAXJA Forum User
I over tightened it, now I can't get it out. Any ideas? I tried to back it off by holding a screwdriver on the lip of the bolt head and turning it, that didn't work. I have spare calipers but I need to get this bolt off!

ez-out isn't gonna help get a whole bolt out, and unfortunately a spare caliper won't do you any good either.

What you need is a pair of vise grips like machinisttx said, grab the head and twist back and forth while pulling back. Once it's out, you will need an M8x1.25mm helicoil kit, most good parts stores will have one, I know advance auto had one in my area. Bore the mounting hole on the knuckle out with the proper size drill, tap it with the included helicoil tap, insert the helicoil with the tool, and reassemble everything.

Almost any parts store can get you a new bolt, they're M8x1.25 but I'm not sure what length. Just ask for front caliper bolts for whatever year XJ you have.

Speaking of which - what year is your XJ? The above advise holds for ~92.5 and later, earlier ones are a dizzying array of different designs depending on whether they are 4wd or 2wd and what specific year they are.

Glad to hear you got that bolt out man... Just a heads up. IIRC those bolts only need to be torqued to 13-14 ft lbs. Not much at all.

Back