• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HELP - rear brake line busted.

OnorOffroad

NAXJA Forum User
Hi, I was swapping my axle today and when I went to take off the rear brake line I accidentally twisted the steel line while turning the nut. It cracked the line. I tried to repair it with the existing piece but it's gushing. What's the best way to repair the line short of replacing the entire thing?

What Souska said. New pieces of line are cheap. Make sure you get the proper junction, and get an extra piece of the correct diameter to practice on. Dirct cheap double flare tools are a poor investment, but even good ones take some practice to get right. If you're doing it on the vehicle you'll likely need to practice a bit. Once you get the hang of it it's a great thing to be able to do.

I ended up just buying the whole line from the dealer for about 35.00. I just didn't have the time to learn to flare and I didn't want to buy a flaring set. I think it's something I'm going to end up getting anyway, as I also have a leaking xmsn fluid line and I'm sure it will come in handy beyond that in the future.

I did the same thing when replacing my rear brake hose. For a quick fix, I used a compression fitting but I eventually flared it for a proper, more permanent fix.

If the dealer part was only 35 bucks it's probably the best way to go. Some other time at leisure you can learn the art of double flaring, and if there is a next time for the line, you can make up a new one. For long term projects like this it's kind of handy to replace the single long line with one assembled of three or four prefab pieces, allowing infinite later repairs, but there's no hurry.

I did the same thing when replacing my rear brake hose. For a quick fix, I used a compression fitting but I eventually flared it for a proper, more permanent fix.

I don't have documentation to back it up, but i was always told that is illegal and extremely unsafe. you can't put a compression fitting on a hydraulic brake line.

I don't have documentation to back it up, but i was always told that is illegal and extremely unsafe. you can't put a compression fitting on a hydraulic brake line.
It is certainly unsafe, since any failure can push the line right apart with sudden brake loss. Whether it is actually illegal seems to vary with place. Some states are specific, and some will flunk you in an inspection, but you may be hard put to find a reference in state law. Just don't do it unless it's the only way to get home on a bad rainy night or something.

If the dealer part was only 35 bucks it's probably the best way to go. Some other time at leisure you can learn the art of double flaring, and if there is a next time for the line, you can make up a new one. For long term projects like this it's kind of handy to replace the single long line with one assembled of three or four prefab pieces, allowing infinite later repairs, but there's no hurry.

Good point, and good idea. Something to look into in the future.

Not sure about it being illegal but yes, I agree it is unsafe. Compression fittings are not made for the pressure that brake lines have but in a pinch, they can work until flares can be made in the line.

Back