• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear disc conversion

There are several ways to go about it but, IMO, the cleanest way is to get the parts from a Liberty.

The Libby uses the same basic axle and the parts just bolt in without needing to be modified as the ZJ parts require. Be sure to grab the parking brake cables as well. Do a search as there is a fine write up on the how to do it in this section.

I personally did the KJ swap. Beyond the basic parts (backing plates, axle housing flange studs, calipers, rotors, E-brake cables), you just need 10x XJ front wheel studs and WJ rear soft lines. Worked quite well.

another vote for ZJ discs. I have $70 in mine including all the parts and two new axle seals, which I did "while I was in there." I also ran the rotors/pads from the donor (keeping each set of pads with the rotor it was "bedded in" to) since they were in good shape. Make sure to either get the rubber lines from the caliper to the housing intact, or buy new ones. You can fit 3/8-24 speed bleeders into the caliper if you shave a tiny bit off the casting boss where the bleeder screws in - iirc I had to shave off something like 0.05" or so, basically just the roughness on the casting surface plus a little more.

Also make sure to get the studs that hold the backing plate to the donor axle - and don't mash the threads up at the end with a hammer, either. A drift punch comes in handy here.

For e-brake cables you can use a variety of things - on my MJ I used Ford Explorer long side e-brake cables (the right hand cable) but they were quite a bit longer than needed for an MJ, so I had to loop them up a bit. Not sure what you could use on an XJ from the junkyard but I know Crown Automotive makes both 96- style and 97+ style e-brake cables specifically for this swap.

So here's a little topic sideways slide...
Since my XJ has the craptastic dana 35 in it... would it be easy to swap in a complete Grand Cherk rear axle with discs?

Not really, at all. The ZJ rearends are coil sprung, and all suck (they're either the 35, or the 44a - neither is really a good swap candidate when better axles such as the ford 8.8 are around for the same price) and will require custom fabrication to fit. You'll need to either put leaf perches on it, or convert the rear of the XJ to coil springs. Easier to get the disc brakes off it and spend 10 minutes with a die grinder to make them fit the XJ axle housing. If you find yourself an XJ chrysler 8.25 rearend, you can then swap the brakes off your now-disc-equipped 35 onto it with a minimum of pain.

Good points. Here in Germany there are few Jeeps that show up in the junkyard on post. I'll have to do some wandering and head scratching to see what I can find in an 8.8. I have no desire to up grade anything with the Dana 35. I don't mind changing perches or whatever... but if I'm gonna do anything it should at least be a true improvement. :)

Back