• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need help from electrical gurus

mcguyver_xj

NAXJA Forum User
Hi all been having an electrical issue lately and been trying to fix it with few words of advice and very little know-how for where to start...

My issue (excuse the rambly jumbleness): It started out every once in a while i would click my lights on (running or actual headlights) and the rear wiper would switch itself on (noticed it one time when it was raining out)...then the other day i was driving switched my lights on and bam stuff started going crazy:
-airbag light went on and stayed on
-rear wiper was going by itself
-rear defroster was on
-rpm gauge stopped working
-cel came on after no bus appeared on odometer
-then turned headlights off and bam everything went back to normal

couple days later i tear into my dash looking for electrical issues (tried a new headlight switch changed nothing then unplugged cluster to see if it was bad wasn't) then went behind the left rear interior panel where the taillight harness is and found a loose ground so fixed it...thought problem was fixed but that night went to the store and it repeated the problem but while it was spazzing something like clicked and it all stopped and my center console lit up (didnt notice it wouldn't light up when everything was spazzing)...couple days go by and it continues to spaz and stop when i turn lights on...

then one night i turn on my dome light and my center console lights up and rear wiper defroster switch on and stuff spazzes...next day plug my phone into the aux 12v outlet and stuff spazzes for a couple seconds...well anyways last night i forget i have the issue and go to the mall coming home at night turn lights on problem doesn't go away and i notice my blinkers/ hazards / dome light/ center console lights don't work when the issue is occuring so i turn lights off fearing electrical fire and drive home with hazards on....

so in lamence terms when headlights are switched on stuff goes weird...when overhead dome light switched on stuff goes weird...without those two on everything works normally except the rear defroster won't stay on...

please help:worship: i just spent two hours under my hood cleaning grounds cause those were the few words of advice were to do

ps..dont know if its of correlation but i have a water leak that leaves small puddles in pass. floor when it rains

Some ground locations to check... especially G107 and G108

G100 Near Battery
G101 Near Starter
G102 Near Engine Connector C107
G103 Near Generator
G104 Body Ground from Negative Battery Cable
G105 Engine Groundfrom Negative Battery Cable
G106 Near Powertrain Control Module
G107 Near Glove Box Lamp Switch
G108 Near Headlamp Switch
G200 Near Air Bag Control Module
G300 Near Air Bag Control Module
G301 Near Power Amplifier
G302 Near Left Tail Lamp
G303 Between Right Tail Lamp and Power Amplifier
G304 Near Rear Window Defogger Grid

Some ground locations to check... especially G107 and G108

G100 Near Battery
G101 Near Starter
G102 Near Engine Connector C107
G103 Near Generator
G104 Body Ground from Negative Battery Cable
G105 Engine Groundfrom Negative Battery Cable
G106 Near Powertrain Control Module
G107 Near Glove Box Lamp Switch
G108 Near Headlamp Switch
G200 Near Air Bag Control Module
G300 Near Air Bag Control Module
G301 Near Power Amplifier
G302 Near Left Tail Lamp
G303 Between Right Tail Lamp and Power Amplifier
G304 Near Rear Window Defogger Grid

yesterday i checked all the grounds near the alternator cause i have brown dogs and thought powdercoating could affect grounding then i made custom negative battery cables cause they were corroded, then cleaned up oil dipstick ground, the cleaned up cluster of grounds near ecm, and when i bought it the ground strap to firewall was broken that was replaced with a new huge ground strap...and i cleaned up the ones near the left taillight last week as one was loose...

Back