• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

DOor switch replacement?

Devilfrog

NAXJA Forum User
OK, I just know this is going to be a simple thing I've overlooked ...

How do you replace the Door switch? My driverside front has stopped working (all others work fine) and I can't get the thing out or see where the connector is at.
My rear hatch light doesn't work either but does come on with the doors, not sure what's up there I can't see a switch. I to tear into it for a wiper motor replacement anyway so that can wait.

I can live with the NFG door switch, but, as it's not just part of 'The Jeep Thing' rattles/squeaks/groans and it can be fixed it's just nagging at me.

:exclamatiWhat year?:exclamati

The master switch is a unit, and in my '00 I had to replace the entire thing. Could not get to the individual switches.

Take off the door panel, unplug the wiring harness from the switches. you just found the connector. Jump the wires to see if it works at all.

The rear hatch light is a push-type switch in the newer XJs.

2000 XJ ... I'm talking about the plunger switch in the door frame. My FSM mentions replacing it but doesn't specify how to get ths damn thing out.

SO the rear hatch light doesn't come on with the interior lights? I could have sworn it did ... but my XJ is 500kms away so I can't check again until I get home from work.

The door jamb switches screw in and out. When you install a new one, you plug it in, screw it into the jamb, and when you close the door, it will slide the plunger assembly in to the correct depth. Takes just a few minutes to replace one.

getimage.php

The lens for the rear dome light is the "button" for switch, which is inside the light itself. Push the lens in with the hatch open, and the lights should come on (or turn off if they're already on). There is another switch inside the hatch which affects the operation of that switch. It could be as simple as the switch in the light is off, or either of the switches could have failed. Shouldn't be too difficult to narrow the problem down.

well crap, like I said, it was going to be something rediculously simple ... looks like I was over thinking the problem.
Thanks hubs, sometimes it's the little things that stump you.

Dave

Back