• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D30 HP Donors

4WDlifeform

NAXJA Forum User
I can not seem to find a definite on this, so I thought I'd post it up, maybe useful to others?

What D30 axles came on the YJs? HP or LP? Either?

I know the one I'm looking at buying has a CAD. Is there any relation to the CAD and the pinion height?

Thanks!!

Well, it has 4.88 gears in it already. Offer is good. I was hoping to build one, then swap, as my XJ is my DD. I think if I can fit this one up as a temporary, that would give me time to build my current D30HP, then swap back. I will need to fab some mounts to it though... I have been searching for a D30 for a while (hard to find in my area), and being that this one already has the gears I want, makes it a little better. Sounds crude, but best offer that has come by for me.

YJ D30 are HP. Vacuum Disconnect is a negative feature, but fixable.

All YJ d30s are high pinion, all are CAD. About half way through the 1995 model year, the front U-joints were beefed up to an x297. The biggest issue is that you'l have to rework all the brackets to change from leaf springs to coil springs. There is no UCA mount cast into the top of the housing, so you'll need a truss. You can use a solid XJ or TJ front shaft to overcome the CAD issue. This seems like a painful way to get 4.88s in your XJ...

Depending on HOW MUCH, could always buy the axle and pull the gears/carrier and swap into something else. And sell the housing.

i forget exactly what it stands for... but its for the vacume disconnect system that engages the front axle in 4wd. idk exactly how it works... my fathers YJ has it and fails all the time. i have avoided like plague. lol.

"_________ actuated disconnect"?

CAD is center axle disconnect to my knowledge.

Thanks for the input, I am still waiting to hear back from the guy. Fabing the mounts is not much of a worry, wouldnt I be ok with only putting the one upper arm on passenger side? Then no need for truss.. IRO kit only uses 3 points on the axle.

I agree this is painful, but most competitive counter offer in my area is 400$ at junkyard... Keeping an eye out, but no waiting forever!

I would not bother with a YJ axle... significant amount of fab work needed, LCA mounts, coil perches, and at least one, probably two UCA mounts.

If you call a junkyard and ask them for a specific axle and they know they have it, you are at the wrong kind of yard, that is the kind an insurance agent doing a damage estimate or repair or a rich yuppie goes to. You want the kind of a yard where they say "I dunno man, come out and look yourself." Try Harry's You-Pull, I have heard they are good. You will need to get the axle regeared yourself, but it won't cost you more than 100-150 or so for the junkyard axle if I had to guess.

Gears will run you a few hundred more plus labor unless you learn to do it yourself.

Back