• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

cant get voltage to egr solenoid (renix)

2stix

NAXJA Forum User
so i couldnt seem to get voltage to the egr solenoid. i supplied 12 volts and ground to the solenoid terminals and it clicks just fine. so while i was checking for voltage on the orange wire with the neg lead from the DMV to bat neg. and the pos lead to the orange wire at the connector i get .8 volts with key on. key off i get no voltage. BUT, when i checked cont. i am getting cont. with about 4.5 ohms at the orange wire and bat ground.
so i figured i have a short to ground somewhere on the orange wire. which also feeds power to injectors, fuel pump, O2 heater relay, egr sol., A/C clutch relay, and is fed by the fuel pump relay. they are all tied together. i started disconnecting sensors and such to track it down. ecu disconnected, O2 sensor disc. all the relays pulled. it was only when i disconnected the fuel pump did the cont. stop. so i installed a new fuel pump, connect the plug and again i get cont. unplug it and it goes away. i find it hard to believe that the new pump has a short in it. it works fine. good fuel pres, and all.
am i wrong to assume i have a shorted power wire? can someone with a renix please check the orange wire at the egr solenoid for voltage and or cont. to bat ground? let me know what you come up with.

this all started after i kept getting low ALFACL numbers with the DRBll tester. FSM says low numbers indicate
high fuel pres.--- (new reg and new pump, all test good.)
dirty air filter---- (new filter)
leaky injectors-----(new injectors)
faulty Ex O2 sensor/circuit---(new O2 sensor, tests good)
faulty Egr valve operation/circuit---( new Egr valve, vacuum system tests good and working properly, solenoid tests good, but can not get voltage to it via connector)

i know i am missing something here. any ideas?

ok, i am getting the same. thanks cruiser54. i guess i figured key on should have given me the voltage. thats what the FSM says. did not realize it needed to be running. the fact that with key off it gets continuity to ground really through me for a loop, i did not realize they did that.
thanks again.

Back